Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I am having issues with installing knoppix since the last three days. It all started with me getting a book about linux - the book was awesome and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 'You have passed an unexpected mode...'

Hi all,

I am having issues with installing knoppix since the last three days.

It all started with me getting a book about linux - the book was awesome and all I wanted to do was to get Linux as soon as I could.

Then a friend gave me a live CD of Knoppix. I tried to install it but then as the CD was loading up it said ' You have passed an unexpected mode' even before the CD was loading!!! As expected the screens were messing up each other. That was fine ... after all all I wanted was a terminal and a vi !!!

I have an old desktop (had win9 given to me by a friend but I thought that old pcs worked better.

Next this friend gave me a Ubuntu CD. Ubuntu seems to have a lot more problems - not only the GUI is bad - it constantly freezes my pc.

I tried to load Knoppix again - this time with the knx2hd command - then there comes an error msg saying that some amount of memory is insufficient :o- things go so bad that I delete the win98 partition I had.

The msg tells me that if I knew what I was doing (which I am sure I do not) type 'IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer' which I promptly do - bad news - it tells me that it did not find some file /dev/1

Please help I am going to crazy with this going on.

The worst thing is when they say that you can load Knoppix in 20 mins - it makes me feel so bad about all this

Hi and Welcome !

Post your Machine's specs here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Red face some progress...

Hi thanks for the reply - I will get the specs of my pc as soon as possible - its a friends pc and you know without an OS there is not a lot I can do

Some progress - I should say as far as installing Knoppix goes.

More by luck I put in the mkswap and the swapon commands and I was able to go upto the point where the installer asked me for the pswds and was installing the OS - but as my luck would have it - after 40% it sais tht there was a weird kind of formatting error. (

I deleted bith the partions of the hdd and began again but now it again puts me to the point where the installer says I need to give it IGNORE_CHECK-1 sudo knoppix-installer command.

Meaning I came back to where I started

Plz help me .... and thanks a lot for replying so soon

Did you try to install using that cheatcode?
    Open Root Terminal and type
    Code:
    IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer
    It should work. I have tested that on several problematic machines and installation never failed.

Just Joined!

still strugling ....

Hi devils_casper & Core Wizard thank you for your veryprompt help ... I really appreciate that ... this actually convinces me that I am at the right palace

well to tell ya whats going on - with your help - I am now able to get to the place where knoppix is installing on the hdd - but then it stops there coz it says tht there was some error in formatting the (it does not say what).

I just would like to add that after doing some reverese engineering I found out that all the problems I faced with the partition was because the command 'parted' and the command 'parted-image' gave me different info. Somehow 'parted-image' showed up one partition that was of 0 bytes and was labled hda2-extended.

Now I am only a step away from installing Knoppix - please help me.

Thanks again for the prompt replies

Download Parted Magic LiveCD and boot from it. Its one of the best Partition Manager. Create two Partitions. one for / ( root ) formatted in ext3 filesystem and another for SWAP formatted in swap. Allocate as much space as you can to / partition. minimum 6 GB is recommended. 512 MB for SWAP is enough.

Just Joined!

still struggling .....

Thanks for the liveCD - I almost made the complete installation !!!

I was able to boot upto KDE with the Knoppix CD ( I had to use fb800x600 to get there). However when I started the HDinstall the root began giving me errors (like 'usr/share/doc etc) the CD had been installed at 69%. I let the install continue till I got to the point where it said 'Knoppix installed'

I took the CD out and reboted the pc - however it does not load upto the KDE - it says tht KDE is not the default display (now I want the KDE too because it is fabulous !!!)

I tried all the commands tht I thought would help - like startx, restartx,kde et al. However 1. they did not help 2. I dont want to do this everytime I want KDE.

p.s: thanks for the partition magic.

Well Done !

Execute startkde. Post exact error message here, if any. Post the error message thrown by 'startx' too.

Just Joined!
    when I give the command startx and restartx or X or kdesktop is the same error. Some errors are can't find display"" or sometimesfatal error: screen not found

I also tried #echo $DISPLAY tht comes up blank so I used #import DISPLAY=:0 then the echo cmd gives the :0 display. No help still with the KDE.

One more issue - I am not able to log into the root - the only way I can use the root is by the su - cmd. and whenever I do tht the root has a tilde(~) over it. I am not sure if it is supposed to be this way. The only thing is when I am at the root it does not give me the appropiate permissions eg. /dev/cdrom gives you do not have the permission!!!

By the way - I was desperate to use the vi and I am having fun with it - but now KDE seems to be too good to be let alone

I can think of three things 1. there is something debugging coz it says only root can get to the KDE when it is debugging mode - I tried all the commands tht came with bugging and debugging - none helped - the commands are too messy for me (newbie) to understand 2.is there I can pass two parameters to the CD during boot and reinstallation ?eg fb800x600 knoppix tohd=dev/hda1 (very complicated) 3. or I could add something in the root that would specify the display modes to the pc (eg fb800x600 during boot) is it not possible to give root the cmd tht the display is 800x600??

If you think a video adapter would work - plz let me know the specs

Thanks for your patience guys - I really appericiate your help - meanwhile let me see what startkde does.

Post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf > xorg.txt
    it will create xorg.txt file in your home folder. Attach xorg.txt file here OR post its contents.

Execute this
    Code:
    su -
    lspci | grep "VGA"
    Post output here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast