Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: access to write

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

access to write

I really need some real basic help!

In my blundering efforts to get my HP Scanjet llc scaner to work with Mandriva One the process "created file /etc/saned/hp.conf."
    When I try to edit and save "hp.conf" I get the following error message:
    "The document could not be saved as it was not possible to write to file:///etc/sane.d/hp.conf."
    "Check that you have write access to this file...

I don't think I do have access. How do I gain write access?
    Owen

forum.guy
    su
    enter root password

nano /etc/sane.d/hp.conf

save file
    oz

access to write

Thank You,
    Using the Konsole terminal
    I pasted the command you just sent and received the following:
    "bash: nano: command not found"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    forum.guy
    Okay, you probably don't have nano on your machine, then.

From the Konsole, try this:

Code:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/sane.d/hp.conf
    oz

forum.guy
    I'm not running KDE right now so can't remember for sure, but you might also be able to right-click on the file from within Konqueror and then choose "edit as root". Just something else to try if the above idea should fail.
    oz

I pasted the command and received the following:

Password:
    [root@localhost owen]# kdesu kwrite /etc/sane.d/hp.conf
    Creating link /root/.kde/socket-localhost.
    Created link from "/root/.kde/socket-localhost" to "/root/tmp/ksocket-root"
    /usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth: creating new authority file /root/.ICEauthority
    Creating link /root/.kde/tmp-localhost.
    Created link from "/root/.kde/tmp-localhost" to "/root/tmp/kde-root"
    kbuildsycoca running...
    Creating link /root/.kde/cache-localhost.
    Created link from "/root/.kde/cache-localhost" to "/var/tmp/kdecache-root"
    Invalid entry (missing '=') at /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Syst
    em/Configuration/Printing/Mtink - Epson inkjet printer maintenance and ink level
    monitor.desktop:54
    Invalid entry (missing '=') at /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Syst
    em/Configuration/Printing/Mtink - Epson inkjet printer maintenance and ink level
    monitor.desktop:57
    em/Monitoring/Mtink - Epson inkjet printer maintenance and ink level monitor.des
    ktop:54
    em/Monitoring/Mtink - Epson inkjet printer maintenance and ink level monitor.des
    ktop:57
    monitor.desktop:54
    monitor.desktop:57
    ktop:54
    ktop:57
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/
    Sound/amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-sid'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/
    Video/kdetv.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-tv-channel
    s'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/s
    ervicetype 'text/english'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/s
    ervicetype 'text/x-c'
    ervicetype 'text/x-c++'
    Graphics/kuickshow.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-ei
    m'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Pres
    entations/OpenOffice.org Impress.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety
    pe 'application/vnd.stardivision.impress.template'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Pres
    entations/OpenOffice.org Impress.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety
    pe 'application/vnd.ms-powerpoint'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicet
    ype 'application/binary-certificate'
    Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
    Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
    Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-rea
    laudio-plugin'
    Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'
    Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
    Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-
    mplayer2'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/serv
    icetype 'KMediaPart'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/serv
    icetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
    icetype 'audio/x-ogg'
    icetype 'audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin'
    icetype 'video/msvideo'
    icetype 'video/x-avi'
    icetype 'application/x-mplayer2'
    Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/bm
    p'
    Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/fi
    ts'
    Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pc
    x'
    Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pi
    x'
    Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pn
    m'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kformulapart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servi
    cetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.formula-template'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Spre
    adsheets/OpenOffice.org Calc.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype '
    application/vnd.stardivision.calc.template'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servi
    cetype 'text/english'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servi
    cetype 'text/x-c'
    cetype 'text/x-c++'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety
    pe 'text/x-fortran'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetyp
    e 'KNotify'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/ser
    vicetype 'KMediaPart'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/ser vicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/ser vicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/ser vicetype 'video/x-avi'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Draw ing/OpenOffice.org Draw.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'appli cation/vnd.stardivision.draw.template'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Internet/We bBrowsers/Mozilla Firefox.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'tex t/mml'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/ Graphics/showfoto.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-eim '
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Word processors/OpenOffice.org Writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety pe 'application/vnd.stardivision.writer.template'
    kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Word processors/OpenOffice.org Writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicety pe 'application/x-doc'
    Invalid entry (missing '=') at /root/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatequXSHa.tmp:1
    KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/2
    QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim

forum.guy
    That should have worked.

Did you try other method I posted above?
    oz

Yes I tried as you suggested. No luck.
    hp.conf was opened by Kwrite.
    After making modification and trying to save I got the same message about not having write access to this file.
    The right click only brought up the submenu with "paste, select all, bookmarks" As a alternative I right clicked, left clicked all of the available menus without the needed reslults

forum.guy
    You could always edit the file with vim (or vi), as I figure it's included with Mandriva by default, but vim is not very new user friendly:

Code:
    su
    (enter root password)

vim /etc/sane.d/hp.conf
    Press i to edit the file
    After editing the file, press ESC, then :wq to write and quit.

If this doesn't work, try su - and repeat all the remaining steps.

Hope this helps - let us know.
    oz

The command gets into editing hp.conf with Vim o.k.
    I'm unsure of using "i" for editing. Using the delete and arrow keys seemed to work.
    A problem occured when I tried to use the ESC key. Nothing seemed to happen. There wasn't any opportunity to use the "wq" command.
    The changes were not saved when I quit and exited.