Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed SuSE Linux 10.8 (I believe that is the correct version number), and the copy of Windows XP Home that came with my laptop. Since all I can do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't get back to Linux

I installed SuSE Linux 10.8 (I believe that is the correct version number), and the copy of Windows XP Home that came with my laptop. Since all I can do to install windows is use a recovery CD that doesn't give me access to any kind of partitioning tool, I first partitioned my drive out using the Linux installation, like so:

/dev/hda0 45gb vFAT /windows/C
    /dev/hda1 19.7gb vFAT /windows/D
    /dev/hda2 2gb swap swap
    /dev/hda3 45gb ext3 /

the hda0 is for windows, since the recovery CD will only format and install to C:, and the hda1 is to be a shared drive for my music library.

I installed SuSE, and changed menu.lst in GRUB to add windows, which worked successfully. I booted to linux through GRUB, restarted, and booted to Windows through the same GRUB. When I restarted from windows, it did not go back to GRUB, and instead booted through NTLDR. I've tried to just add multi(0)....partition(4)="SuSE 10.8" to the file, but when I chose it at the menu it just restarted the system. NOW, I cannot get back into Linux to add the boot record image to NTLDR correctly.

Any suggestions?

Linux Newbie
    The drive numbers for GRUB start with 0 while for the rest of the system it start with 1. For eg. for GRUB the first partition is (hd0,0) while for the rest of the system it is /dev/hda1.

Now, for your problem, there's another way that I myself use to boot into linux because of the damend windoz way of dominating my friggin' lappy.

Boot using linux CD and select rescue option. Once you're in the command prompt, run the following command:

grub
    This will take you to the grub prompt. Once in the GRUB prompt, type the following commands:

root (hd0,3)
    setup (hd0,3)
    Once done, run the following command:
    mkdir /windoz
    mount /dev/hda1 /windoz
    If the above mount command runs successfully, run the following:
    dd if=/dev/hda4 of=/windoz/grub.bin bs=512 count=1
    Finally:
    umount /windoz
    Boot into windoz and edit boot.ini. Add the following line at the end and save it:

c:\grub.bin="Linux"
    Restart and select Linux from the boot selection screen and you should be able to get into linux system.

Let me know if this worked...

!!!!!!!!!!
    PS: Be very careful when you run 'dd' command. One mistake and you might trash your system... !
    !!!!!!!!!!

Just Joined!
    hmm that makes a lot of sense... unfortunately, I have already decided I am not familiar enough with linux to give half my hard drive to it yet, and have since repartitioned my drive like this: windows: 119gb, linux: 1gb (text only).
    I had to give linux a partition because my windows restore CD is a piece and will just put windows on "C:" and not let me partition.

Besides, I spent hours trying to get it to work with my wireless card and I simply couldn't get it connected to the internet.

I think I'm going to (later) install linux on a virtual machine and familiarize myself with it before I start to use it fully.

Damn you microsoft for your total yet undesirable hold on me!
    DAMN YOU! *shakes fist angrily at monitor*

Linux Newbie
    Most of the windoz recovery CDs insist on installing to the first partition without letting you edit/modify partition table. This is (not letting edit/modify the partitions) a ridiculous setup enforced by the hardware vendors not MS themselves.

You can always, repartition using linux CD and then let the recovery CD do its job and install to the first partition. It doesn't matter what size the first partition is as long as it can accommodate entire windoz installation plus some free space. You could set it to something 30GB and create few more partitions for linux and data etc.

Just Joined!
    I'm aware that it's the hardwaree vendor... but... although I use it, I have a kind of underlying grudge towards windows. And Micro$hit.

anyways, I think I'm going to backup all my files onto DVDs, format, and retry this linux business... But, I'd rather boot with GRUB rather than have to use NTLDR all the time- is there anyway to (once windows and NTLDR take over) switch back to GRUB? Do I need to use Linux to do this... or what? Is it possible without ruining one of the operating systems?
    I theorize that if I got NTLDR to display linux as an option, that it would boot GRUB, then GRUB would boot windows, so I'd rather just boot to GRUB initially.

oh, and while trying to get back to linux I did run the CD in recovery mode, and I can't believe I didn't think to just type "grub" :/