Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone I'm new to Linux. New being I just bought the a Linux bible and have some copys of linux to use. What I want to do: I just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multi-booting from external HD

Hey everyone I'm new to Linux. New being I just bought the a Linux bible and have some copys of linux to use.

What I want to do:

I just bought a new 500GB EXTERNAL Hard Drive, of which, I want to put 2 different copies of Linux in it as well as Windows XP (Windows XP is uninstalled).

I know for a fact I want to install Ubuntu and I'll know shortly which other copy I'll want to install.

I was just wondering if you guys would provide me with some steps to installing these copies of Linux and partitioning my hard drive.

If this is unclear in anyway, leave a message and I'll try to make it most clear.

Thanks a lot.

Double-helix

Mr. Double-Helix first install Windows XP that you have in the first Partition. Then while you are installing Linux(any flavour) Just create a 200MB boot Partition of ext2 FileSystem(Primary Partition). And then Specify your Root Partition's size and install the linux as your Distribution guides you.

NOTE: You can install Linux in a logical drive!!!!!!!!!

Just Joined!
    I actually planned on installing Linux first, which a friend told me would be a bit harder to do (I don't know if that's true or not).

Questions:
    what would the 200MB partition of ext2 FileSystem do?

and I have no idea what a logical drive is.

No if u want Windows to work properly you have to install it before u proceed with linux. Then choose your flavour I trust Ubuntu is best for the amateurs It ll Take care about everything.