Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed both Ubuntu and Kubuntu before but not the 64-bit version. I just built myself a new computer and wanted to try out 64-bit Linux. However, when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem installing Kubuntu 64-bit - hangs at splash screen

I have installed both Ubuntu and Kubuntu before but not the 64-bit version. I just built myself a new computer and wanted to try out 64-bit Linux. However, when I go to boot off the Kubuntu live DVD, it shows the initial splash screen where it is loading all the modules, but then it shows another splash screen where it just hangs. I cannot get it to go further.

I also tried the CD version of Kubuntu AMD64 but that gave the same result. What could be wrong here?

Thanks in advance,
    BigFoot

Linux Newbie
    I've never tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Generally, there's a way to switch to verbose mode from the splash screen. At boot option screen, there might be an option available to disable the splash screen completely. If yes, try that and see where exactly it hangs. Post the error mesages here and probably we might be able to help...

Just Joined!
    Hmm, I didn't see that option. I will try safe graphics mode and see if that helps.