Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a Linux newbie & have Mandriva installed in my m/c. What I would like to know is how does one install a software in Mandriva. Like in Windows, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux Equivalent of Windows EXE

I am a Linux newbie & have Mandriva installed in my m/c. What I would like to know is how does one install a software in Mandriva. Like in Windows, to install a software, conventionally one has to open a file that has the EXE extension. Likewise, in Mandriva, which file extension denotes that a file is an executable file? In other words, what file extension is the counterpart of the Windows EXE in Mandriva?

Also does one have to install a software to open executable files in Mandriva or is there an in-built program in Mandriva which automatically opens executable files when double-clicked in Mandriva?

Thanks,

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rn5a View Post
    I am a Linux newbie & have Mandriva installed in my m/c. What I would like to know is how does one install a software in Mandriva.
    Welcome. Here is a good starter article to get you familiar with the numerous ways you can install programs in Linux:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html

Like in Windows, to install a software, conventionally one has to open a file that has the EXE extension. Likewise, in Mandriva, which file extension denotes that a file is an executable file? In other words, what file extension is the counterpart of the Windows EXE in Mandriva?
    This might come as a bit of a shock, but Linux doesn't use file extensions at all, at least not to determine whether or not a file can be executed. There really is no such thing as a Linux equivalent to EXE.

Linux determines if a file is executable by the permissions set on that file. Every file has a set of Read/Write/Execute permissions that apply to all users, a particular group of users, or a particular user. Without going too deeply into this, all you need to make a file executable in Linux is to set the executable permission.

Please take a look at the article above and post back if you have any other questions.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you