Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay well i figured I would just stick with ubuntu but now I am having an issue installing vid drivers, now it says to install it in runlevel 3 without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu and nVidia

Okay well i figured I would just stick with ubuntu but now I am having an issue installing vid drivers, now it says to install it in runlevel 3 without x, so I log in to recovery mode as root and run "init 3" so now im in rl 3 but then it still says im still logged into X, I dont understand how to get pass this, everytime I log into root whether its through tty3 it asks as desktop login, and continues to log me in to X even as rl 3. I need to know how to get to rl 3 without X, also keep i mind the newer ubuntu does not uses /etc/inittab and now uses upstart which is held /etc/event.d. There has to be a way to edit a certain file to allow me top start in a run level on boot without X. How would I go about accomplishing this. Btw I have done tons of research and have tryed it many times from what google had shown me, but it still keeps logging me into X even if as rl3 in the cli.

when using any tty XSERVER starts only after you type startx

so just login in any tty and continue installation

or use rcconf tool to remove Xserver startup service in runlevel 3

Code:
    sudo apt-get install rcconf
    starting rcconf

Code:
    rcconf
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

well i managed to get passed it, i booted into recovery mode and did "runlevel --set=3" before doing "sh nvidia.run". now its telling me to download a precompiled header from nvidia to continue, but it does find one on their site, then it says to make one from the libc headers, it says there is no libc development package installed but i installed it last night.