Find the answer to your Linux question:
The Mandriva flavor of Linux in my machine supports 2 desktops - KDE & XDE . Unlike XDE , why doesn't KDE allow to login as the root user ? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Kde & Xde

The Mandriva flavor of Linux in my machine supports 2 desktops - KDE & XDE. Unlike XDE, why doesn't KDE allow to login as the root user? Is there anyway by which I can login as the root user using the KDE desktop?

Also the files & directories residing in the KDE desktop aren't available to the XDE desktop & vice-versa. Is there anyway by which the files & directories residing in either of the two desktops can be made available to the other desktop?

Thanks,

Ron

oz
    forum.guy
    Root logins are disabled in KDE by default because of the security risk involved. Most admin chores can be easily accomplished as a regular user by using su, so root logins really aren't needed.

You can disable this safety feature in KDE by opening /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and changing the line:

AllowRootLogin=false
    to
    AllowRootLogin=true

Note that this file is at /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/kdmrc on my machine so it might be elsewhere on yours.

You can also use kdesu to give yourself root permissions when needed.
    Last edited by oz; 08-26-2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added bit about kdesu
    oz