Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
That's because the DOS fdisk is confused by any other than FAT marked partitions (actually it can only manipulate and even display FAT partitions... if you have an NTFS or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

That's because the DOS fdisk is confused by any other than FAT marked partitions (actually it can only manipulate and even display FAT partitions... if you have an NTFS or ext2 partition, it's impossible to remove using DOS fdisk), and while I knew that /MBR will re-initialize the MBR if it sees peculiar things, I didn't know that NTFS partitions was one of those things. Ordinarily, it just puts back the ordinary MS MBR bootloader into the MBR, but leaves the partition table untouched.

Just Joined!

MBR problem

Speaking of MBR problems, can someone help me fix this one:

I installed Linux (so my machine was dual-boot w/ WinXP), then uninstalled it. I installed LILO to my MBR, but after uninstalling Linux, I still have an entry for Linux in my MBR.

I just want it so it'll boot directly into Windows. I'm afraid to fdisk /mbr, and I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,

- v3

Linux Guru
    I believe that there's a similar option in the recovery console for XP that does the same, only for XP.
    If you're still afraid, just back up your MBR before you do anything. It's a very simple task in linux:
    dd bs=512 count=1 </dev/hda >mbr
    And just reverse the redirections to restore it. I guess that you have a rescue option or something similar on the disk that you originally installed linux from, with which you can do this. Back it up to a floppy or something.

Just Joined!

ive got the same problem

i put mandrake on a "computer that's not mine" and it was dual-booting with XP, but i could never get the monitor configured right on mandrake, so i deleted the partitions it had, including the swap. but now my(the) computer still boots up with LILO first. i can't use the linux anymore, but i can get to windows. is there a way, with Windows XP Professional, to get rid of LILO (boot directly to WinXPPro), and reclaim all the space on my harddrive that i had with mandrake (format that space as ntfs or fat32)? Here's the tricky part: like i mentioned be4, the computer is not mine, and i'm NOT LOGGED IN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR!!!! help, because it's not just a friend's computer, but a school computer........HELP![/u]

Linux Engineer
    put in your winxp disk, boot to recovery console and type fixmbr (one word), will reset windows, ntfs compliant, to your mbr.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    1)i dont have the xp cd
    2)how about the space left on the drive?

Does this computer have a floppy drive?
    Ifso you can go to www.bootdisk.com and download a file for Win98SE, Put it on a floppy, reboot with it in the computer, when you get to the A: prompt, type

fdisk /mbr

That will fix the MBR

If you don't have a floppy drive, that site has directions for putting it o a cd.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2