Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
how do i uninstall linux?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

uninstalling linux

how do i uninstall linux?

Linux Guru
    That's a pretty ambiguous question. If you just want to get rid of it, just repartitioning and formatting your hard drive should do a pretty good job.

Linux User
    i tried doing that on another computer with linux and windows and after deleteing the swap partition it also deleted my master boot record for windows

Linux Guru
    Are you sure? Deleting the swap partition shouldn't affect the MBR in any way. Especially it cannot be deleted since it's fixed. What happened more exactly?

Linux User
    ok well i deleted the linux partitions and now when i start up my computer a grub prompt comes up, how do i get back to windows?

Linux User
    How were you booting windows before you deleted the linux partitions? If grub was letting you pick it should still let you pick - it would be on the MBR and wasn't touched by the removal of the linux partitions. If you were not using grub to get into windows before, how were you doing it?
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux User
    it used to let me pick but now when i start up it enters a grub prompt and doesnt let me pick OS

Linux Guru
    If you create a DOS boot disk with DOS fdisk on it, run fdisk /MBR and it should restore microsoft's MBR code so that you can boot into windows. Just be sure to mark the windows partition as active (there is such an option in fdisk if you start it up normally). That won't work if it is a NTFS partition, though. DOS fdisk won't detect it in that case.
    If you're running XP, I believe there is some kind of MBR restoration option in the recovery console or whatever it's called. I've hardly used windows since I removed it from my computer, and then I had 98. I just saw it in some other post here.

Linux User
    thanks a lot for the help, i got it to work

Linux User
    i have a warning about fdisk /mbr. if u use that on an NT line OS than u seriously srew it over. it only works with win9x. it might be becuase they put the info/program to boot at the front of their partion, since they can only be installed to C: baring serious tweaking.

ps Xp is NT line

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast