Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Installing Redhat 9 on COMPAQ 7170 (9 years old) i386 16 MB RAM 4GB HDD and 800+MB HDD Floppy CD-ROM (NO BOOT FROM CD SUPPORT) Tried using cd boot programs, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tiny-Linux install problem - stuck on step 2

Installing Redhat 9 on
    COMPAQ 7170 (9 years old)
    i386
    16 MB RAM
    4GB HDD and 800+MB HDD
    Floppy
    CD-ROM (NO BOOT FROM CD SUPPORT)

Tried using cd boot programs, ended up disabling the computer. Got Windows 95 working again and tried SUSE linux install, wouldn't detect any installed devices except the Ethernet card. Tried Redhat 9.0 install with boot disk and ftp download, works until it says "Loading Anaconda", then it will not continue no matter what you do. Tried running it in text mode (no difference) tried with noprobe, didn't work.

Any help is appreciated.

Just Joined!

16 MB is pretty small

16 MB is pretty small for Redhat 9.0. I tried to find an official statement of how low you can go with RedHat 9.0, but I could not find one. Tiny linux requires 8 MB and prefers 16 MB. See http://tiny.seul.org/en/. It is called Tiny linux because they go to great efforts to make it fit in small memory.

Just Joined!
    sry, i posted the RAM wrong, its 32MB

Just Joined!
    processor speed is 90MHz
    (missed that)

Linux Guru
    If you press Alt+F3 or Alt+F4, you can see the system and kernel logs. They will probably show you what's currently going on. It could be that it's just taking time loading the RH9 anaconda on a 90 MHz CPU.

Btw., a 90 MHz 386? Does that exist? I thought the 386's stopped at 50 MHz or so.

Just Joined!

Redhat 9 needs 64 MB

I found the info at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ase-notes/x86/

You need at least 64 MB for text mode and 128 MB for graphical.

You should investigate adding RAM or switching to a different distro.

Linux Guru
    You shouldn't be taking those numbers too seriously either, though. For text mode, 32 MB is most likely enough. Just add enough swap and you'll be fine.

The real question is if the RH9 installer is satisfied with 32 MBs. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer.

Just Joined!
    The computer is almost definately a 386, 90MHz. You may be right about the installer needing more memory (it only makes sense). I'll try tiny linux, but i have a question: does it support a graphical interface?

Linux Guru
    Well, you can more or less say that every Linux supports a GUI. It's just a matter of whether or not they ship it. ;-)

Almost all distros, even the tiniest (even muLinux, which fits on three or four floppies), ship some version of XFree86 with some window manager, so even though I don't know much about tiny linux, I'd be surprised if it doesn't. Anyway, you may want to wait around for a more authoritative answer.

Just Joined!
    I've gone ahead and installed tiny linux, but the instructions for the second stage are somewhat vague. It tells you something about choosing and install method of modem, but that option doesn't even exist in the "setup" program. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast