Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm planning to migrate to Linux, maybe dual-boot... not sure yet Here's my current HD config: - 160 GB HD as pri IDE, splitted into 30GB for winXP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need some advice for migration

Hello all,

I'm planning to migrate to Linux, maybe dual-boot... not sure yet

Here's my current HD config:
    - 160 GB HD as pri IDE, splitted into 30GB for winXP (don't laugh
    and 130 GB data (music etc) filled to the rim...
    - 60GB HD as sec IDE, with my documents etc... also filled to the rim...

I ordered a 500GB HD because I need more space, and now I have the brilliant idea why not move to linux, let's see what that's all about

I will probably want to install Linux on the new 500GB disk, along with most of the data. And I will probably keep the 160GB too. And I need all of my data.

What partitions would be best for me to make on those two disks, how do I get all my data to Linux partitions? What would be a logical way of partitioning the drives? I have no clue of what partitions are needed and what their sizes should be.. Is there anything else I should think of first?

I have just regular files: mp3, video like .avi etc, pictures, .doc openoffice.org and M$ office, .pdf and .rar and a few .zips.... so nothing too exotic I think

I've just DLed Kubuntu and OpenSuSE Live disks, not sure which one I like more yet.. Plus I don't have my new disk just yet (it's been ordered).

Can anyone give me some advice?
    Thanks!!

Grtz, Linda / Blue

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, BlueRose!

Check the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux. After reading the articles, let us know should you still have questions.

As for partitioning schemes, I'd recommend something like the following for someone new to Linux:

Code:
    / (at least 6 GB, ext3)
    swap (you might not need this if you have 1GB of RAM, or more)
    /home (at least 6GB, ext3)
    Which partitions and what size they are is really up to the individual user, as there is no certain amount you should use, as long as they are big enough to hold all data that goes in them.

Have fun with the Linux experience...

oz
    oz

Just Joined!
    / (at least 6 GB, ext3)
    swap (you might not need this if you have 1GB of RAM, or more)
    /home (at least 6GB, ext3)

Can you tell me what each of these are for?
    swap I get, I have 1 GB RAM
    what are / and /home for? what would be their windows equivalent? is / like the windows root folder and /home the program files folder?

And what type of partition do I need for my data?

And another thing that just came to mind: do you know any way that I can back up my firefox and thunderbird accounts from windows and load them again in linux once I've installed both there?

Thanks a lot, I will surely read the articles tonight
    There's just a lot to think about first hihi
    grtz Linda

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    Can you tell me what each of these are for?
    swap I get, I have 1 GB RAM
    what are / and /home for? what would be their windows equivalent? is / like the windows root folder and /home the program files folder?
    / is for the root account, or in otherwords, the linux system itself.
    /home is your user partition where all your individual user configuration files will reside. You don't have to have a /home partition if you don't want it, and those files will be mixed into the / partition. I personally always prefer to make a /home partition.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your replies

I have more questions of course: where do the installed programs etc go?
    I don't expect Linux to be like windows, otherwise it could never be better
    I have read your FAQ but I couldn't find any on this... do you know a site or place with some explanation of how Linux works with all the files etc?
    I mean in windows you have the windows folder, the program files folder, the docs and settings folder in which also the my docs folder is hidden etc... I can't yet translate that to Linux and I would like to know that before I jump into the deep water right away So basically more info on how Linux is put together on the HD etc

thanks! (in the meantime I'll keep bugging google, but I haven't found my answers there yet)

Blue

oz
    forum.guy
    Are you asking about the Linux directory structure?

Linux's directory structure
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you exactly what I was looking for..
    Glad you understood my ramblings... not sure if I did myself ^_^

due to some hardware and progs that probably are not going to work under linux (like line6 Guitarport for which I need driver and program) I will be setting it up as dual boot system with winXP...

what is better or easier to set up? I will have one 500GB SATA disk, and a 160GB IDE disk. so I think I'm going to use one disk per OS, and maybe make some extra left over space on the linux disk a NTFSpartition, so I can swap files between linux and windows...

is it better to install winXP first on the primary disk and Linux on the other one after that? or the other way around?

grtz Blue

Hiya BlueRose
    In my opinion, and I think a lot of folks here will agree, you should use a dual boot until you are confident enough to decide if you want to keep Linux or Windows.
    what is better or easier to set up? I will have one 500GB SATA disk, and a 160GB IDE disk. so I think I'm going to use one disk per OS, and maybe make some extra left over space on the linux disk a NTFSpartition, so I can swap files between linux and windows.
    It's be easiest if you just install Linux to the new HD only, just to keep it simple. And there is nothing wrong with having an NTFS partition for sharing, I use one myself but it's fat32.
    is it better to install winXP first on the primary disk and Linux on the other one after that?
    Usually this is the best way to do it, Install Windows, then Install Linux, even if you only have one HD. Windows will overwrite your Master Boot Record if you do it the other way around and that can create some problems.
    Oh and by the, before I forget, you want to look at this link for more info on the Linux File System Hierarchy
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much

I will do dual boot.. still have to wait for the new drive though >.<
    *waits for email from the e-shop where it's ordered*

The link is definitely interesting, I will read it more thoroughly this afternoon, when I'm more awake:P (it's 9.14am now and last day of summer vacation)

thanks and gftz
    Blue