Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have a laptop running FC6, and it works great, but I need to triple boot Windoze XP, Fedora Core 7, and (not necessary, but would be nice) Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fedora 7, Ubuntu Fiesty, Win XP - 1 laptop drive

Hi. I have a laptop running FC6, and it works great, but I need to triple boot Windoze XP, Fedora Core 7, and (not necessary, but would be nice) Ubuntu Fiesty. What order should I install these in, and do you know of anything that might make this difficult? Also, since Windoze is so crud, I'll need a separate partition for the swap file (4GB, I believe). At what point do I need to create this? Thanks in anticipation - any help would be great. Zeke
    Last edited by Big_Zeke; 09-07-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added a note.

Well, XP needs to be at the first position on your drive, and the others can go in whatever order you like them. Since all use the grub boot loader, it's just a simple matter of installing the latest distro, mounting the root partition from the previous distro, and copying the last distros entry(s) in /boot/grub/menu.lst and adding it to the most recent distros /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Smile

Great, thank you. That sounds pretty simple (chortle - I bet I'll be here next wednesday trying to figure out where I went wrong. ). But thanks. (lol: I'm a Dapper-Dan man)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Zeke
    Also, since Windoze is so crud, I'll need a separate partition for the swap file (4GB, I believe).
    There is no need to allocate 4GB space to SWAP partition under any circumstances. If you have 1GB or more RAM there is no need to create SWAP. To be on safer side, just create 512MB SWAP partition.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First