Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm looking for some direction. I'm attempting to install Linux for the first time. I've spent the better part of the last 2 days at it, and still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux for the 1st time

Hi All,

I'm looking for some direction. I'm attempting to install Linux for the first time. I've spent the better part of the last 2 days at it, and still no install.

Here is some of what I've done so far:
    I searched around a little on the Internet and found a pointer to Matt guide "Linux Installation and Getting Started" http://tldp.org/LDP/gs/gs.html

I read it. Found a site with the Debian images. Downloaded the 1st and 2nd 700MB images and burned them to CD. Then I downloaded the boot.img and rawrite and created a floppy boot disk. But when I booted, it sent a lot of error messages (hundreds) to the screen, dumped me out at a boot prompt, and the keyboard didn't work.

So on to try 2. I go to the book store and find a book about redhat linux 8.0. It has 2 CDs with the distribution (unopened), and I figure this is it - should be a walk in the park.

I read/flip through the book and get comfortable with the initial install instructions. If you're machine supports booting off the CD, then you're good to go (mine doesn't). If you need to make a floppy boot disk, then the book points you to any redhat mirror to get the boot.img.

I went here:
    ftp://redhat.netnitco.net/pub/mirror...s/i386/images/
    And grabbed boot.img

Then here:
    ftp://redhat.netnitco.net/pub/mirror...i386/dosutils/
    And grabbed rawrite.exe

I made the boot disk, put CD1 into the spinner, and booted up my old Pentium 100 machine. It came up with a nice redhat splash screen, loaded a few things (I assume the kernel), and asked me to press enter to proceed with the install. When I pressed enter, it spun up the CD, and then came back and said something to the effect of "stage2 is different from the boot image, so it was terminating the install.

I remember from Matt's guide that you can do a harddrive installation. So I figure I'll download all the files off the mirror, and there should be no conflict. So I go here:
    ftp://redhat.netnitco.net/pub/mirror...s/i386/RedHat/

And download all the files in the RPMS and base directory. I follow the instructions in the guide, and create the c:\RedHat\RPMS and c:\RedHat\base directory structure on my harddrive, and I copy the files into the appropriate directories. (It takes several hours to download over a gig of files - most of which I never intend to use, but I do it anyway hoping the this will lead to victory.)

The moment of truth comes. I boot from the floopy, it asks where the ISO9660 images are, I point it to the 1st drive, AND… it comes back and says this drive doesn't appear to contain the images. Just for fun I try putting in various directory structures and partitions. It takes a couple of minutes to search through all the files on redhat/RPMS so I know it's seeing the files, but still no install.

Any thoughts?

Linux Guru
    Hehe... you weren't supposed to download those files. =)
    The harddrive installation of RedHat assumes that you've downloaded the ISO images, not the installation file tree.

Anyway, may I suggest booting into a Windows operating system of your choice, put in the first RedHat CD and write out the boot disk image that is in the /images directory on that CD instead of downloading an image? You'll also find the rawrite program in /dosutils on that CD.
    Sometimes those books alter the CDs slightly, and therefore a boot image off the net won't properly detect the CD. I've heard this story before, and I honestly don't remember if those book authors had remember to alter the boot floppy image accordingly.

Just Joined!

Some details on the computer

You mention that the computer will not boot from the CD and that it is a 100 MHz Pentium. These imply that it is fairly old. How much memory do you have?

There is a possibility that you need the drvblock.img from the same place that you got the boot.img but I am not sure.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The PC is very old, bought it back in 1995 when 100Mhz was as fast as you could go. It has 32M of RAM.

Oddly enough, the CD doesn't have the dosutil or image folders. The instructions in the book are to go to the nearest RedHat mirror and download the boot.img - bad idea, because I think you're right. Somebody changed something and now it doesn't work.

Linux Guru
    Do you have a CD burner? In that case, you can just go to the nearest RedHat mirror and download the ISOs for burning.

Just Joined!
    I have a burner, and I like that plan. At this point I'm looking to reduce download time and hardware requirements, so let's say I go here:

ftp://ftp.net.usf.edu/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/iso/i386/

It looks like there are 2 different sets of discs. Anybody know what the difference is?

06/14/2002 12:00AM 670,269,440 enigma-SRPMS-disc1.iso
    06/14/2002 12:00AM 542,572,544 enigma-SRPMS-disc2.iso
    06/14/2002 12:00AM 671,612,928 enigma-i386-disc1.iso
    06/14/2002 12:00AM 669,483,008 enigma-i386-disc2.iso

Just Joined!

The SPRMS have source

You want these.
    06/14/2002 12:00AM 671,612,928 enigma-i386-disc1.iso
    06/14/2002 12:00AM 669,483,008 enigma-i386-disc2.iso
    There other two are source code.