Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I have a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot but can no longer boot into Linux. Before the trouble, I was working in Linux and installed the recommended updates. I think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB issues - request help

Hi all. I have a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot but can no longer boot into Linux.

Before the trouble, I was working in Linux and installed the recommended updates. I think it upgraded the kernel. Afterwards, it said I had to reboot so I did. Only, at that point I was no longer able to boot into Linux, but can boot into Windows fine.

This happened one other time before when I also installed some updates (and updated the kernel). It is not just a matter of fixing the menu.lst file. Last time I had to use the Super Grub live cd to repair GRUB. Last time it worked, this time it didn't. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just Joined!

Re: GRUB issues - request help

Quote Originally Posted by lwpack View Post
    Hi all. I have a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot but can no longer boot into Linux.

Before the trouble, I was working in Linux and installed the recommended updates. I think it upgraded the kernel. Afterwards, it said I had to reboot so I did. Only, at that point I was no longer able to boot into Linux, but can boot into Windows fine.

This happened one other time before when I also installed some updates (and updated the kernel). It is not just a matter of fixing the menu.lst file. Last time I had to use the Super Grub live cd to repair GRUB. Last time it worked, this time it didn't. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    You need to reinstall Grub on to the master drive's MBR.
    Boot your rescue CD and run grub-install pointing to your master boot disk.
    This may help: USB Boot using GRUB ( case sensetive )

Just Joined!
    I tried reinstalling GRUB using the Super Grub cd. It said it was successful but still wouldn't boot.

I don't know what you mean by "boot your rescue cd and run grub-install pointing to your master boot disk."

Right now I'm using the Ubuntu live cd. Is this the rescue cd? What does pointing to your master boot disk mean?

Thanks for the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: GRUB issues - request help

Quote Originally Posted by lwpack View Post
    I tried reinstalling GRUB using the Super Grub cd. It said it was successful but still wouldn't boot.

I don't know what you mean by "boot your rescue cd and run grub-install pointing to your master boot disk."

Right now I'm using the Ubuntu live cd. Is this the rescue cd? What does pointing to your master boot disk mean?

Thanks for the help.
    I believe Ubuntu has a rescue mode? Boot it and see.

If you are booting from you master drive then you want to install Grub to it.
    Something like: grub-install <Options> /dev/hda
    If you are using the BIOS to boot from a different drive then you need to install and configure Grub for that configuration.

The simplest way is to install Grub on your master drive and then configure it to your set up.

Post your grub.conf or menu.lst, which ever you use.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I fixed the problem. Turns out it was just a matter of changing the menu.lst file.

Still, I don't understand, why whenever I update the kernel, it changes my /boot/grub/menu.lst file so as to boot from partitions that don't exist, and erase the booting from windows option.

In case there's anyone out there who is having the same problem, to fix it you have to rewrite the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and reinstall grub on the mbr.

If anyone knows why this problem exists or how to prevent it in the future, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by lwpack
    Ok, I fixed the problem. Turns out it was just a matter of changing the menu.lst file.

Still, I don't understand, why whenever I update the kernel, it changes my /boot/grub/menu.lst file so as to boot from partitions that don't exist, and erase the booting from windows option.

In case there's anyone out there who is having the same problem, to fix it you have to rewrite the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and reinstall grub on the mbr.

If anyone knows why this problem exists or how to prevent it in the future, please let me know.
    Which kernel version were you using before update? Latest kernels ( 2.6.22 onwards ) doesn't differentiate between IDE and SATA. These kernels assign SCSI name ( sdx ) to IDE disks too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hmm, I'm not sure which kernel version it was. But it couldn't have been too old as I always install updates when Ubuntu recommends it. I didn't quite understand your response. So does this mean it will keep happening in the future, or that it's been fixed?

Its has been fixed. As I mentioned earlier, latest kernels assign sdx device name to both IDE and SATA disks. From now on, there wont hdx device names.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Good to know. Thanks.