Find the answer to your Linux question:
Devils_Casper, help me please!! I'm dying here. lol, By the way, I've been using Ubuntu and it's great! Having loads of fun with it.... except the way it renders fonts.... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub Kernel Panic again! PCLinuxOS 2007 Installation

Devils_Casper, help me please!! I'm dying here. lol, By the way, I've been using Ubuntu and it's great! Having loads of fun with it.... except the way it renders fonts.... but oh well, I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 to another partition on my hard disk, and I'm getting the same kernel panic problem... I'm sure that I'm addressing the vmlinuz file correctly... but it's not working, here's what I input in menu.lst this time: ---

# PCLinuxOS 2007
    title PCLinuxOS 2007
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8.tex5 root=/dev/sdb5 vga=0x317
    initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.18.8.tex5.img

I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 on the 5th partition (technically 4th, but it's a logical partition), and the initrd loads fine, I get a message saying initrd finished, something like that, and then Kernel Panic.... is there something wrong with my hard disk? Cos this exact same thing was happening with backtrack....

Just Joined!
    I just tried changing it to sda5, and it workeD! I wonder why it didn't work with my backtrack installation.... could it be because I added modules to the ISO before burning it?

Which modules have you added in ISO image? I have installed BackTrack in test machine toady and it worked fine as earlier.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Well actually not modules but I put some files in the rootcopy folder, just 2 files, does that have anything to do with why it couldn't find the kernel? I don't see how?

It couldn't find kernel because of wrong root() value in menu.lst file. Latest Kernels are using SCSI device names ( sdx ) for all types of disks. I think BackTrack has a bit older kernel and device names are conflicting.
    We have to look into this again. Try to install BackTrack again if possible.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    ohh, ok, that would make sense...