Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, after lurking, reading, trying to pick up as much knowledge as possible, I am still swimmin in a sea of confusion. For someone fairly new to puuters (currently Win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Swimmin

Well, after lurking, reading, trying to pick up as much knowledge as possible, I am still swimmin in a sea of confusion. For someone fairly new to puuters (currently Win 98se), I have come to the realization that Windows with all of the problems I have had and the lack of stabilization therof, SUCKS, now that having been clarified, What the heck or where the heck can a person go to find the best new install of linux to start with??? Any help would be very much appreciated..

Linux User
    well mandrake can be really easy to install.

Also, here is some documentation wich you might want to read through.
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3

Good luck

Linux User

RH

I prefer RedHat.

What ever you choose - installation should be straight forward enough. But you will soon find that you want to install and play with the billions of software packages available. the best place to start looking for info is the linux documentation project. http://www.tldp.org

then when you get specific problems post them here and one of the better informed people will try and help you.

Thats what I've been doing anyway.

Good Luck
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    Both are great for new and experienced users alike....but if you want to try something different give Libranet a try. It's 1 CD, and it's very user friendly. The other nice thing is that it's Debain based, so it uses apt-get, a very good package manager.

Any way you go, you should enjoy the ride.....Good Luck!

Just Joined!

Swimmin

Thanks to all of you kind enough to post. As I have wondered thru as many Linux sites, I have become even more confused as what to start with. This being an entirely different "cloud" from Windows, it loks like there is a lot of manual"ditch digging" so to speak. As soon as I can clear some of this "fog", I will opt to purchase the CD's and make a run for it. Thanks again ya'll.

Linux Enthusiast
    this is exactly why I wrote my guide - it is a clear and easy to follow step by step way through red hat.

check it out!

the link is in my signature below

Just Joined!

Guide

Thanks Yowww, this will help, this is a little more organized than what I've been going thru.

Linux Enthusiast
    good stuff, let me know if you have any questions about it, I have tried to make it as clear as possible so input on improvements are appreciated

and don't forget to sign the guestbook