Find the answer to your Linux question:
unfortuanly i cant get to boot or install from my cd of fc2, my history is like this: i recently buy a pentium procesor and a new mother board spec ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant install fc2 i386 on a new system

unfortuanly i cant get to boot or install from my cd of fc2, my history is like this: i recently buy a pentium procesor and a new mother board
    spec mother board asus p4p800-e deluxe
    cpu pentium 2.6 ghz intel
    memory at 1.25 gb of ram
    well my point is that for some reason i have follow all the instruccions on how to install fedora from the book of redhat linux and fedora published by sams but it only loads up to the screen of fedora core boot screen.
    loads until (loading initrd.img .......................) and then for some reason the system reboots or shutdown get in me back to the main feedora core boot screen and it will not pass from there it is giving me a head ache.
    also forgot to tell you that my hdd is a wd of 80 gb.
    problems like mine any 1 ?.
    please help i desperatly need an advice
    sincerely dave m.
    also i dont thiks is a bad bios setup cuz let me boots from my cd rom i know how to do that and i also recnetly updated the bios but no luck either with the old bios didnt work at all it sucks this issue helpppppp

Linux Engineer
    your topic mentions "i386" if you have a cd designed for that architecture it wont work on i686 which is what you have.

Just Joined!

so what image should i use?

i thought since it worked on my laptop the 4 cds that i have already downloaded will it work on my new computet that what i use the same first cd like in my p3 laptop;
    it is like this ok the first cd FC2-i386-disc1.iso (md5sum: c366d585853768283dac6cdcefcd3a2d) burned alredy ok? .
    variant tell me what version should i use please or any one else .
    hope to hear from you guys soon thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    That's not the problem at all. An i386 distro can be used on any later IA32 version, it's the other way around: An i686 distro wouldn't be usable on an i386 computer.

It seems there's something about RedHat's precompiled kernel that makes it not work on your hardware. It's a bit hard to tell why since it doesn't give you any error message, though.

One possible workaround that you could try would be to install FC1 first and then upgrade to FC2 from within FC1.