Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello: I have just got an HP laptop and I am wanting to run both win 2K Pro and Debian. I already have win 2K up and running. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual booting (Installing Debian and Win 2K)

Hello:

I have just got an HP laptop and I am wanting to run both win 2K Pro and Debian. I already have win 2K up and running.

I have a 40gb drive and only one partition right now. But I can easily change that with partition magic should I need to.

I been reading a few articles here and there on how to get a dual boot system up and running but I figure that I ask here since most of those articles refer to mandrake and windows 2K or XP.

So are there any good step-by-step tutorials that anyone knows of? I have installed debian before (no dual booting) using LILO but I have read in few places that LILO tends to cause problems with the windows boot records so it is better to use GRUB. Also I have heard that the Sarge installer actually recognizes Windows, so would this be the best way to go? so how would I go about it, should I just make the sarge boot floppies and try and install like I normally would on an empty clean harddrive and just let the sarge loader worry about windows? As well since I only have one partition right now would the loader make the necessary partition for Debian?. In any case if you can point me in the right direction to any tutorials on how install Linux on an already existing windows installation I'd really appreciatte it. Thanx!

~pman

Linux Engineer
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...oot+grub+howto

that link contains all the information you will need to do what you want.

Just Joined!

Follow up

Hello:

Thanx for the link, but after spending all last night reading through some sites I still got some questions. I already have windows 2000 running on it and I have currently only ONE partion a c: which has about 32Gbs free. I have no other partitions. I have been reading alot of posts everywhere and I have a few questions. I have decided to with the stable version of debian. and I want to use Grub. But I read everywhere where people say Install GRUB to the MBR. but how do I go about doing that from windows? where do I download GRUB to and the how do I install it from windows 2K? also when I make the new partition for Debian? is it at the time of install, do I just let the linux installer take care of that or should I use partition magic? and if I use partition magic how should I format the partition (which filesystem)? So far these are the steps that I have outlined to follow:

- defragment my win 2K harddrive (to move it to the front of the HDD)
    - Before I do anything, make a startup disk for windows partition
    - Create partitions
    - one swap partition (usually around 2x your RAM)
    - a root partition (~5 GB )
    - make another partition that I will mount at /home
    - make a startup disk for Linux during the setup
    - download a version of Knoppix to use as a live cd in case you need to fix something
    - Make sure you get the EN version from 051704

But from here where do I go? how do I install GRUB? and what do I do after I install GRUB? or is grub included in the boot floppy for Debian? if so do I just boot from the debian floppy? I've read that I need to adjust some configurations on GRUB so that the boot loader gives me windows as an option. How do I do that and when? Really sorry about all the questions, I dont want to come accross like I havent done my homework but is just that most places I been to tell you to do it but not HOW to do it. Any help at would be appreciatted it. Thanx!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    First off I'm familiar with with Mandrake, Slackware, Redhat, Redhat (Fedora)...

but typically GRUB is installed during the install process of your distro. To have GRUB be the first thing to startup when powering up is to have it write to your MBR (master boot record).

And remember if things go bad you can always re-write your MBR with a Windows boot floppy by entering the command fdisk /mbr at the DOS prompt in safe mode.

If all goes well you should be able to boot your Linux kernel and your Windows 2000 partition. You might google around a bit and search for "grub.conf examples". Grub.conf is the grub configuration file stored in /boot/grub.

-Kauai