Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install ubuntu onto my second hard drive in my computer which is a a sony vaio computer and maxtor hard drive. I curently have xp installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Two Hard Drives

I am trying to install ubuntu onto my second hard drive in my computer which is a a sony vaio computer and maxtor hard drive. I curently have xp installed on the sony hard drive. It seams like evrything loads up well and when i retart it isn't there and just says no OS found. i can't figure out why it is not holding on the drive. The only possible thing i can think of is that when i put the drive in about 6 months ago i took the jumper out so it would just be another hard drive on the computer, so do i need to get jumper and put it on the hard drive and if so where. Any help would be great.

Thanks Trey

If you have two drives you will need to assign them correctly as Master and Slave, or better if you can set both of them to cable select mode with the jumpers. Are you getting to see the drive during install? If this is the case then there is nothing wrong with your jumpers.

Just Joined!
    no i don't think i see the drive on install. i select start and install on the first screen and then about 3 minutes later it is up and running. Which drive would i set to master and which one to slave. what will setting both to cable select do.

Thanks
    Trey

You should leave the first disk (with your existing system) as master. If you set both as cable select it makes life easier, as they will be assigned to master and slave according to the position on the IDE cable. The master will be the one on the end, the slave will be in the middle. That's usually the easiest way to set it up imho.

Just Joined!
    if you chose cable select and have the xp as the master and the linux as the slave then would you still just go in to the f2 setup and boot the linux when you want to use it.

Thanks for all the help