Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Sorry ! My Mistake. It was a typo. I should have written Fedora instead of Ubuntu. Ubuntu full install takes 2.2GB disk space and 10GB disk space is enough for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sorry ! My Mistake. It was a typo. I should have written Fedora instead of Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu full install takes 2.2GB disk space and 10GB disk space is enough for it. Fedora 7 full install ( DVD ) takes >3.5GB disk space and 12GB is enough for Fedora. You can allocate as much space as you like.

Check this Poll on Fav Linux Distro. Install any or all distros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

One for Linux only software 50 Gigs or so (compliers, internet programs etc...)

Rest as a NTFS format to allow Document swaps
    you can also set that 50 gb of partion to NTFS as you can access it in windows for any reason
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

Just Joined!
    Okay so Linux programs can work in the NFTS file system. For instance if I use Fedora 7 and I download say Open Office for linux I can save it into a windows formated disk and access it in Fedora ?????

So then all I really need to do is set aside the space for the Linux distro?

Don't Linux programs have to use the same file system as the Distro or am I getting this a$$( hope that doesn't get me smacked) backwards?

I assumed wouldn't be able to see the window's drive in Fedora let alone use my documents. (I know you said it before but it's just sinking in now)

So if I leave the windows drive alone ie C:. Foramt and use the D: with Fedora will I be able to see the C: from Fedora and access it for read write functions?

Sorry if I am not understanding this. The only operating sytem I really know is DOS and windows just ran on top of that one it didn't really replace it

Linux doesn't install program like Windows. It installs parts of a package ( libraries, binaries, temp files etc. ) in different locations. Its not possible to specify install location of most of packages. Check File Structure here.

Fedora 7 supports NTFS and FAT32 read/write access out of box. All Windows partitions will be visible in Fedora and you can delete/create/edit anything in those.

yes you can read/write windows partions from your linux

you can do this readily for fat32 but you need to download a package called ntfs-3g to read/write to NTFS drives

Quote Originally Posted by abhishek456
    you can do this readily for fat32 but you need to download a package called ntfs-3g to read/write to NTFS drives
    Hi abhi !

Fedora 7 supports NTFS read/write access out of box because ntfs-3g package is pre-installed in it.

Talking

thanks for the information devils_casper

Just Joined!
    That is truly not what I was expecting so if I download the Linux version of Open Office I will be able to edit and save documents I have saved to my C: like for instance I have Open Office Doc's for Anthro and English I would be able to edit them. Okay so that's why I can save a file in Open Office in linux and send it to a user who is using Word in Windows and they will be able to read it? Right now I have split the D: into a 72 GB FTFS file format and I have another 72GB space that is as yet Unallocated. Did I screw that up I am beging to think I should just foramt the D: with Fedora since I will still have access to the C: NFTS drive.
    Or have I already gone too far with my partitioning?
    I'm really having a brain issue understanding the ability to access my documents on C: with the new Fedora install.
    If I am reading this right I will have full access to both my C and D drives in Fedora and I only loose access to the D: in the Vista OS.

BTW thanks for the file system info lots to learn lots to learn.

I can save a file in Open Office in linux and send it to a user who is using Word in Windows and they will be able to read it?
    open office format's can't be read through Microsoft word, but you got option in openoffice to save your documents in wordformat(.doc,.rtf.....) which got no problem to be read by Microsoft word

So you wanna setup 72gb for fedora

is that's what you are going to do

but you don't need to allocate that huge space for that.Instead alloacte more space for NTFS drive.Just allocate 10-15 gb for Fedora installation

If I am reading this right I will have full access to my drive in Fedora and I only loose access in the Vista OS.
    yes you are correct, You can even acess linux partions in vista through a tool called Ext2 IFS, but it got many limitations

Just Joined!
    OKay then rethink, set up a 17GB unallocated space install the Fedora on that and leave the rest of the space as NFTS format on D: and still have read write on my C: and D:. OKay and programs for Linux will install on the D: NFTS partition since the linux sees it as another directiory. With in it's own file system . Dude this is cooking my noodle. didn't linux along (14-15 years) time ago not reconize FAT 32 and NTFS. The first time I heard about poeple doing dual boot systems that was the magor complant I know it would have come along way by now it's still got me a little stunned though. Now I really can't wait to get my distro in the mail. I took what I considered the safer root at the time and ordered a Distro through the mail with a book on linux.
    Fedora 7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Bible by Christopher Negus?
    I ordered it before I found these forums.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast