Find the answer to your Linux question:
how to do this? Thank you...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sounds bad, but I want to completely uninstall Redhat linux and install windows XP. >

how to do this? Thank you

Boot up from Windows XP installation CD and re-install Windows OS. Windows Installer will remove Linux.
    Windows XP installation CD doesn't work in a few Linux machines. In that case, boot up Linux, open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    su -
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1
    dd command will wipe your Hard Disk. Reboot machine.
    All Installers will think that you have brand new blank HD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hey,

I'm trying to help them out. We cannot run that command because the filesys is mounted (obviously). Is there a way in redhad that we can boot up without it mounting the filesys so we can run that command?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by wwwjscom View Post
    Hey,

I'm trying to help them out. We cannot run that command because the filesys is mounted (obviously). Is there a way in redhad that we can boot up without it mounting the filesys so we can run that command?

Thanks
    Are you saying that yours is one of the few computers that didn't fix itself when you reinstalled Windows XP? Try that first if you haven't already. It should wipe everything out on its own. The case that casper mentions above is an exceptional one.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by wwwjscom
    It doesn't matter if Partitions are mounted or not. You can run dd command on mounted system too. System will stop working on executing dd command.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First