Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a complete beginner and have no idea what to do. Ive read many things on linux, different distros, and even things about Thinkpad 600Es. Many hours of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Want to Install On Thinkpad 600E

Hi,
    I am a complete beginner and have no idea what to do. Ive read many things on linux, different distros, and even things about Thinkpad 600Es. Many hours of it. But i still have no idea what to do. I want to keep Windoze on it, and have a small partition for linux. I have no idea what 90% of the things that websites tell me to means. I was hoping for someone to help me with this, or even someone to walk me threw it.
    Thanks

Hiya doke,
    Welcome to the forums.
    I think you would best be suited by downloading a LiveCD, any version, but Ubuntu is probably most recommended. A LiveCD/DVD will allow you to experiment with Linux while running only from the CD drive. Later, when you feel more secure with Linux, then you can install it to the Hard drive.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    hm...
    I have been doing that a bit, and really do want to install it. The only thing is that the last time i tried to install linux (xubuntu) i couldn't get the computer to work at all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, you could tell us a little bit about your machine, do you have plenty of HD space? Enough RAM? What do you think the problem was, last time you installed Linux that caused things to go wrong? Did you erase a Windows partition or something?
    Here is a link, posted in another thread earlier today by ozar, I believe.
    Linux Installation Guide - Expert Help by PC Magazine
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 09-23-2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added Link to PCMag
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    It was actually a OSX partition that i deleated. And i hear the thinkbook 600 searies sound doesnt work well with linux. it has about 2 gigs open, i might be able to free up a little, and i have around 260 ram.