Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm in dire need of running linux on my pc as I have a project that needed linux to run on. After googling around and visiting many different websites, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install linux on windows? or dual boot? Help needed.

I'm in dire need of running linux on my pc as I have a project that needed linux to run on.

After googling around and visiting many different websites, I found 2 ways of installing linux on windows, dual booting or using emulator like VMplayer I think.

But I get kinda confused after reading all those sites, because some HOWTO's dated back to a few years ago while some sites don't have really good comments on their tutuorials.

I'm hoping someone would be able to give me a complete guide or even a link to a good guide to help me here.

I'm using windows XP with 1 single hard disk of 80GB and partitioned to C and D drive respectively...if I wanted i could devote the whole of my D drive which is about 35GB in size for the installation of linux. But most guides out there only have walkthroughs for installation within the same C drive.

and I've gotten blurry as there are so many kinds of linux, redhat, ubuntu to name a few. Which do you guys suggest i use?

and is it possible for me to install or boot linux without using CD-ROM? because my CD-ROM is having some problems now. But i'll get it fixed if i'm required to use the CD-ROM.

any help would be deeply appereciated.

Yea you can 'Burn' the image on a USB Stick and install in that way.
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Hi and Welcome !

I would suggest you to fix CD Driver because it will make installation process a lot easier.
    Which distro are you planning to install?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Erm...burning the ISO to USB drive viable? I'll use that if possible.

As for which distro i am gonna use...i'm totally not sure.

It depents with what distro you want to do that.
    When its a Distro that has a LIVEcd with install you should google for pendrive linux.
    else well just google and check what the Market offers. ^^
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    ooo, pendrive linux....wow...a totally new thing to me. How many Gb must the pendrive be? possible for me to install it direct into harddisk*just wondering*?

can the linux be booted and used to online and downloads as well?

Quote Originally Posted by aven View Post
    ooo, pendrive linux....wow...a totally new thing to me. How many Gb must the pendrive be? possible for me to install it direct into harddisk*just wondering*?

can the linux be booted and used to online and downloads as well?
    heh Welcome to Linux. You might not know it but alot devices use linux.
    My DVD Player for example, I thought the Wii did and my watch.... (yea no joke)
    I have a Pendrive linux on a 1Gig Pendrive. Though I remember that you only need 256MB..

And when you download a LiveCD that has a install Function. you should google for: "livecd to liveusb" Id bet you find something..

And yea you can run Linux from the Pendrive, when you setup a presistent home you can run it like a installed linux.
    And the best part. Its Linux ^^

Welcome to Linux my friend and I hope you like it Big Time ^^
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    really? meaning it will be just like another OS on my pc?

i have a 512mb pendrive. can point me some links of pendrive linux? any distro is ok with me. as long as it is linux. a brief HOWTO if possible.

thanks in advance.

First of all, check if your machine supports booting up from USB drive. Check it in BIOS. If it does, Install SLAX. Its very easy to install and best for USB drives.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    I actually have SLAX installed on a 1GB USB pen drive. I did it a long time ago, and don't remember the instructions to do it. Here is a site on installing Linux to pen drives:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

The instructions for SLAX use Windows to do the install.

I recently had trouble with GRUB on my laptop. I used my SLAX pen drive until I fixed GRUB. I was able to set it up so that it saves any changes (something that a live CD can't do). I also got the wireless to work with NDISWrapper.

If you can't boot from the USB, I remember reading something about using a boot floppy to boot from a USB drive. I'm gonna look into this, as I could use this at work.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast