Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am definately a newb to the Linux scene and have encountered my first bug I reluctantly cannot correct on my own. Anyways, the problem is that after initiallizing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat installation help! CD NOT FOUND

Hi,
    I am definately a newb to the Linux scene and have encountered my first bug I reluctantly cannot correct on my own. Anyways, the problem is that after initiallizing setup and choosing lang., keyboard settings, etc., then asks for location of setup imgs. So I choose CD-ROM. Then it comes up with the following message, "CD NOT FOUND." Yeah, I have definitely tryed all that I can. At this point its either back to the dreaded Windowz and contribute to the evil Billy Gates or through computer out of top floor window of Sears Tower. Anyways desperatly need help... Thanks... Arsenic.

Have you tried the CDs on a different machine? You may have had an erroneous burn.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    What kind of CD drive are you using ? IDE,SCSI, USB ? I remmember when installing (some version) of RedHat (or was it RedHat?) I had to specify adaptec.i or scsi.i instead of bare.i for the image file because I was using a SCSI drive...

Just Joined!

I figured it out!

I junked that project and downloaded Slackware 9.1 instead. So far I have it installed and everything, but it needs to have the boot disk in floppy drive to even initiate linux(the "boot:" command screen) then i hit enter and it loads up but no desktop. Just a command prompt(root@something#) something like that, anyways I got linux to experiment with an interactive environment with a customizable desktop and icons and a variety of themes... Anyways if you have any insite let me know. Thanks

Linux Newbie
    Good move Slackware 9.1 is very good for learning, it is secure but isn't all that user friendly...

To run X Windows you have to run xf86config and configure it. Once you do that when you log-on, you can run startx to run X windows. You can also configure /etc/inittab to run runlevel 4 - automatically start X windows.