Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i am using LILO in my VL distro in VMWARE. .. now i wanted to try grub. .any suggestions? -- i am still in the process of using google....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

from LILO to GRUB

hi i am using LILO in my VL distro in VMWARE. .. now i wanted to try grub. .any suggestions? -- i am still in the process of using google.
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

We could switch computers, I'm of the opposite mind :-p

I put up a dual boot VL + Kubuntu, and assumed I would be prompted by the Kubutu installer what I wanted to do with Grub. And as unspoken assumptions cause 99% of all relationship problems, Grub overwrote Lilo

It left my system crippled, but I've been able to get VL back -using Grub!- something I fancy to be an accomplishment

On topic: a Grub VecPack is available in the repo. Just use Gslapt
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    We could switch computers, I'm of the opposite mind :-p

I put up a dual boot VL + Kubuntu, and assumed I would be prompted by the Kubutu installer what I wanted to do with Grub. And as unspoken assumptions cause 99% of all relationship problems, Grub overwrote Lilo

It left my system crippled, but I've been able to get VL back -using Grub!- something I fancy to be an accomplishment

okay lets trade computers actually I WAS PROMPTED also during my VL installation IF i want to use GRUB or LILO but since i am not yet familiar with grub i chose LILO and now i want to experiment shifting FROM lilo to grub .. atleast its on VMWARE and not in my live HD
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post

i got my grub here. . .

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux....8/extra/base/

BUT

the problem is I could not still activate my modem in my VL vmware. . . is there a way that i can copy grub from my host distro to the client distro?