Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there. I just downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 beta and want to install it on my machine. The problem is that I have Windows 2000, XP and XP Professional installed on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu install suggestions:

Hello there. I just downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 beta and want to install it on my machine. The problem is that I have Windows 2000, XP and XP Professional installed on one machine and don't want my data to be corrupted as a result of a foolish install. So I turned to the Linux forums for help.

My rig: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    1 IDE HD 40GB <------ Single Partition: Windows 2000
    1 SATA HD 200GB <--- Partition 1: Windows XP. Partition 2: XP Pro
    2GB RAM
    ATI X800 Pro
    Gigabyte Motherboard

I thought of partitioning my IDE hd to install Ubuntu on it but I don't know if I should. I'm also aware I need to have a swap partition (which I have no clue what that is) and need help with that. So would anyone help me with this installation? Thanks! :P

Cool

Are you planning on dual booting the machine?
    You could install VMware and run Linux under a virtual machine

Hi and Welcome !

Boot up from Ubuntu CD and open GParted. Its in Menu. Shrink/resize existing partitions and create two partitions.
    1. SWAP -- 512MB. SWAP partition used as virtual Memory and if you have 1GB or more RAM, there is not need to create SWAP partition. 512MB is recommended though.
    2. ext3 -- 8-10GB.

Start Ubuntu installation. Select Manual Partitioning. Installer will detect SWAP itself and assign / mount point to ext3 partition. Continue installation. Installer will detect all other installed OSes and setup multiboot for you.

Good Luck !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First