Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone, I am planning to install vista and Suse 10.1 on a machine and thinking to create two 20 Gb partitions for each OS on the same hard drive. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Partition portion

Hello everyone,

I am planning to install vista and Suse 10.1 on a machine and thinking to create two 20 Gb partitions for each OS on the same hard drive.
    Would that cause any problems? Do I have to install each OS on a seperate hard drive?

Thank you guys!!!!!

Its not necessary to install OSes in separate HDs and you can install as many OSes as you like in single HD. but if you have two HDs then I would suggest you install Linux and Windows on separate HDs only.

Create three partitions. 20GB for Vista, 512 for SWAP and rest of space for SuSe. Install Vista first. SuSe installer will detect Vista and setup dual boot itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux User
    Thanks for your reply casper,

Is it possible not use the rest of the hard disk for suse?
    I mean, can I "dedicate" 20Gb for Windows, 512MB for windows swap, 20Gb for suse and 1024MB for linux swap partition?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is it possible not use the rest of the hard disk for suse?
    Yes.
    I mean, can I "dedicate" 20Gb for Windows, 512 for windows swap, 20Gb for suse and 1024MB for linux swap partition?
    10-15GB is enough for SuSe and if you have 1GB or more RAM then there is no need to create SWAP partition. 512MB is recommended though.

20GB Vista. Primary Partition
    Extended Partition ( Rest of free space )
    Logical Partitions ( inside Extended ):
    512 MB SWAP ( I dont know anything about Windows SWAP )
    512 MB Linux SWAP
    10-15 GB SuSe.
    NTFS -- rest of space for sharing Data between both OSes.

You can share Vista's partition too but I prefer common Partition for data sharing. Well ! thats me only.

Linux User
    Great thank you!!!!

One last question:

The list you just made, is how my hard disk is gonna look like after partinioning it the way I am thinking to do. Is that right?

What is the logical partition? inside extended

Create 20 GB partition and install Vista in it. Vista has a very good Partitioning Utility. Create new partitions with that only. Do not use any third party partitioning tool.
    There are two types of partitions. Primary and Extended. Extended Partition is just a container and It contains Logical Partitions.
    Install Vista first and post the screenshot of Vista Partitioning Tool window here.

Linux User
    Oooooohhhhh!!!

I got it now. I didn't see the semicolon in your previous message. Sorry!!!

Logical Partitions ( inside Extended ):
    512 MB SWAP ( I dont know anything about Windows SWAP )
    512 MB Linux SWAP

So to get this clear in my head.

By partitinioning the disk the way I want, I will have 20Gb for Windows as a primary partinion and then inside the extended partition will be the logical paritions that will include the 15Gb for Linux and its swap partition. Correct?

(I don't know anything about windows swap as well. I was just guessing. I thought since linux has got a swap , then windows must have one, as well.)

I can't do the installation now, hence can't post the screenshot of Vista Partitioning Tool window. I am not at home, so I will try to post it later in the afternoon when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by goude
    By partitinioning the disk the way I want, I will have 20Gb for Windows as a primary partinion and then inside the extended partition will be the logical paritions that will include the 15Gb for Linux and its swap partition. Correct?
    Correct !
    (I don't know anything about windows swap as well. I was just guessing. I thought since linux has got a swap , then windows must have one, as well.)
    Its possible to create separate SWAP partition for Windows and share it with Linux too but I have never did that and I wont recommend to you too.
    I can't do the installation now, hence can't post the screenshot of Vista Partitioning Tool window. I am not at home, so I will try to post it later in the afternoon when I get back.
    Do let me know how it goes. Good Luck !

Linux User

messed up my HD

Hello casper,

Sorry for my late reply!!
    Last night, I installed Windows and then suse 10.3. It boots up nicely without problems but I think I mess up my HD.

Initially I created a 20G primary partition and installed windows. Then I tried to create a 20G extended partition so that I can install Linux in there. However the windows partitioning tool does not allow you to create an extended partition (only primary).

I ignored that and left the remaining space as unallocated space and decided to install linux without creating a seperate partition. Linux was installed but my HD is ruined.

If I boot in windows and click on my computer I can only see the 20G partition I created at the beginning. The rest of the space is not mapped.
    On the other hand if boot in Linux I can see 4 partitions. One is windows, one is the swap, the other is linux and there is another one which I got no idea what it is.
    I am planning to install everything again.

Can you please tell me how can I create a 20G extended partition and how can I install Linux in that particular partition?

Thank you very much for your help Casper!

I think Linux installer has created for Primary partitions. SuSe installer creates three partitions by default. Swap, root and /home. Nothing in wrong in this partition structure. Windows OS doesn't support Linux FileSystem and Linux partitions are not visible in Windows. There are a few tools available which enable Linux Partitions with read/write access in Windows.
    Boot up SuSe, open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    df -h
    su
    fdisk -l
    Post output here. su is for gaining root user privileges. df -h lists all mounted partitions and fdisk lists all partitions of HD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast