Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally got a SATA disk, and verified that it is much faster than my PATA disks. Installation went fine, however, my BIOS can't see the disk, (disk works fine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Is this a sin / Very Very Wrong?

I finally got a SATA disk, and verified that it is much faster than my PATA disks.
    Installation went fine, however, my BIOS can't see the disk, (disk works fine once kernel is loaded).

To get it to boot, i had to move /boot/ onto the PATA disk
    and simply symlink like this
    /boot -> /storage/ide1/boot/

It works fine, but, I'm not sure if this is a sin? I wouldn't want to install the whole system on the IDE disk, as i want the system to run on the SATA..

Please, share you're opinions, and if theres a more elegant way to do it, please enlighten me

I would check the website of your motherboard's manufacturer and see if there's an update to the BIOS. It should be able to detect your SATA drive at boot. Is your SATA controller onboard or was it an add-on card?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    I would check the website of your motherboard's manufacturer and see if there's an update to the BIOS. It should be able to detect your SATA drive at boot. Is your SATA controller onboard or was it an add-on card?
    Onboard controller, already flashed to newest version.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by DusteD View Post
    Onboard controller, already flashed to newest version.
    Is there an option somewhere in the BIOS that will let you boot from it? Is it possible that you just have your IDE drive set to the first device in your boot order?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Is there an option somewhere in the BIOS that will let you boot from it? Is it possible that you just have your IDE drive set to the first device in your boot order?
    Nope, the only options are:
    harddisks (the only disks it see are the IDE disks on my RAID controller (it sees them as scsi, anyway, it can boot from them)
    Network
    "Other" (That just hangs if its the only option)
    Floppy

Bios does at no time mention the sata disk, but it will gladly tell me about my IDE disks on the PCI controller, and local ATA devices like my dvd-drive

That's odd. Perhaps the setup you have now is the most elegant solution for you.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

That's odd. Perhaps the setup you have now is the most elegant solution for you.
    I was wondering, but some times people know of some pretty interesting solutions, so i was just checking