Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed a Linux distro on a friends computer yesterday, dual booting with WinXP. All the user data is on a sata disk formatted in NTFS. Obviously. Now my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quick question, permissions on NTFS

Hi,

I installed a Linux distro on a friends computer yesterday, dual booting with WinXP.

All the user data is on a sata disk formatted in NTFS. Obviously. Now my friend wants to be able to access this data from within Linux. This was possible from the root account, but not from the user account. I tried to set the permissions, but to no avail.

What would really help me is if someone could post a working line of fstab here. One that gives any user read/write on the NTFS part of the system. Thanks!
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Hi Freston !

Set umask value to zero for NTFS partitions in /etc/fstab file. It will enable read/write access to all regular users.
    Code:
    /dev/<partition>  /<mount_point>  ntfs  defaults,umask=0  0  0
    If you have installed ntfs-3g package for NTFS write access then replace ntfs with ntfs-3g.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Great! Thanks a lot. It's not really easy finding out how to do this when someone is standing behind you firing questions all sorts of questions at you

Glad to help you.
    It's not really easy finding out how to do this when someone is standing behind you firing questions all sorts of questions at you
    Yeah, I am a Professor in Univ and used to this kinda situation but, sometimes, it happens to me too..
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    Yeah, I am a Professor in Univ and used to this kinda situation but, sometimes, it happens to me too..
    No kidding?!?
    Well, I'm a bit of a dual boot myself, on the one hand working in a mental facility supervising mentally handicapped, on the other hand I have my own business giving administrative services and council to (uninstitutionalized) physically handicapped people. So you'd expect me to be able to deal with a little distraction. But there was also beer...