Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey..Im a new user to linux and i wanna install it on my PC and allow dual boot coz i already got windows XP.. So i read a few tutorials ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem in installing ubuntu 7.04

Hey..Im a new user to linux and i wanna install it on my PC and allow dual boot coz i already got windows XP..
    So i read a few tutorials online and i read that i gotta create a new partition, so i got Partition Magic that has a feature in it that says "Install a New Operating System" and has a drop down list of OS's that include Linux..so I selected linux and went on. Next, it told me that i need to create a new partition, so i took some space off of another partition i got, and created a 10GB new ext2 partition coz it said that ext2 is recommended for linux. So far so good..then it said that it would be advisable to create a swap partition that's of size RAM x 2..so i made the swap partition 1GB (all this using Partition Magic)....now, i booted the ubuntu 7.04 CD at startup and got into the installation process..i chose to manually select the partition i want the linux to be installed on, and i selected the one i created using partition magic (the ext2 partition), however it gave me an error that said : "this partition has no root in it, please change the partition settings"..i have no idea what's the problem and any help would be very appreciated...
    PS: same thing happened when trying to install Kubuntu 7.04...
    Thanks..

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can use ext2 partitions if you wish, but ext3 would likely give you fewer problems. That said, you will need at least a / (root) partition to install Linux. You can also use a swap and /home partition if you wish. There are other partitions you could use, but they just confuse the issue for new users.

I generally use a very simple partitioning scheme something like this:

Code:
    / (about 8 to 12 GB, ext3)
    swap (about 512 MB)
    /home (about 8 to 12 GB, ext3)
    Hope this helps.
    oz

Just Joined!
    well ya it said that i need a /root partition but how exactly do i create a /root partition?..isnt any created partition a /root partition?..please just bare with me coz im new at this..thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    You will specify which partition will be the root partition during the installation routine of any distro that you install. You won't specify /root, but simply /.
    oz

Just Joined!
    it worked...it found out how to change the partition settings to mount the linux partition as /root which is just /....thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Great... glad you are up and running!

Don't hesitate to start a new thread if you should have any other questions.
    oz