Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a HP Pavilion dv2025tu notebook. It has the following configuration : Processor : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz version : x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help required on dual booting windows and linux on my HP pavilion notebook

I have a HP Pavilion dv2025tu notebook.
    It has the following configuration :

Processor : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz
    version : x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    current speed : 1730 MHz
    cache size : 2048 KB
    Installed memory : 512.00 MB
    OS : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    Hard disk : 100 GB
    Integrated web cam , Bluetooth, Wireless LAN(Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport), Card reader, integrated microphones, DVD-RW.
    Video card :Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
    Sound card : Conexant High Definition Audio, Bluetooth High Quality Audio from WIDCOMM
    USB controller : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA

Now i am interested in installing Linux OS on my notebook, but without un-installing pre-installed Windows OS as i need that also.

I have the following questions to ask about :
    1. Is my laptop capable enough for installing linux on it.If yes, then i have following questions :

1.1 Which flavour of linux can/should i install and how?If there are any tutorials/articles regarding with proper steps then please give me a reference of them also.
    Also if you can make me aware of on what basis a person should choose a particular linux OS flavour, it would be a great help.

1.2 If i have a successful dual boot of windows and linux on my notebook then will my all the functionalitites work properly, like my wireless internet access, bluetooth, integrated camera and microphone, sound after installing linux or i will have to make some work-arounds TO MAKE ALL THE FUNCTIONALITIES WORKING.

2. If no, then can i make my laptop capable enough for installing linux on it ? If yes then please let me know how?

Hoping a postitive reply soon from this community.

Thanks,
    Jignesh

Hi and Welcome !

You have fine machine and you can install any Linux Distro in those specs.
    1.1 Which flavour of linux can/should i install and how?If there are any tutorials/articles regarding with proper steps then please give me a reference of them also.
    Also if you can make me aware of on what basis a person should choose a particular linux OS flavour, it would be a great help.
    Check this Poll. We can't tell you which distro is best for you. Try as many as you can. You have to decide yourself. Check the link in my signature too.
    Shrink existing partition(s) and create free space for Linux. 10-15GB is enough for any Linux Distro. Installer will create/format partitions out of free space. All Linux distros set up Dual boot by default and you will have choice to boot up any OS at startup.
    1.2 If i have a successful dual boot of windows and linux on my notebook then will my all the functionalitites work properly, like my wireless internet access, bluetooth, integrated camera and microphone, sound after installing linux or i will have to make some work-arounds TO MAKE ALL THE FUNCTIONALITIES WORKING.
    You can try LiveCDs and check if there is any Hardware problem. A few distros like Sabayon, Ubuntu support most of Hardware out of box.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First