Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using RH 8.0 right now, and a very newbie at Linux. I installed RH 8.0, which 'kernel' or whatever I don't know. Just whatever was on the redhat.com ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

downloaded some update now I'm all confused

I am using RH 8.0 right now, and a very newbie at Linux. I installed RH 8.0, which 'kernel' or whatever I don't know. Just whatever was on the redhat.com site as of 2 weeks ago. Anyway, tonight an icon came up saying there were updates, so I decided to download all the updates, and I believe there was a new kernel updated as well. But now at the startup screen, the 'boot loader' has two different version of Linux. I would imagine each one is using a different kernel.

Fine great, but I only want to use the newest kernel, how do I get rid of the old kernel and also get rid of the option at the bootup?

Linux Enthusiast
    check out my guide for more general information on red hat - the link is in my signature

also, yes, you do have two different kernels, that is not a bad thing cuz if you lose one then you can use the other, but you can probably edit it out of your bootloader, if you are using grub go here:

http://www.geocities.com/cyberkabila/main/grub.htm