Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I've finally gotten the new computer, put it all together, and am ready to install Mandrake Linux (10 Official)! Very exciting... So I've got an 80GB SATA drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    dt2
    Just Joined!

Mandrk10: only see SATA drive, IDE drive invisible! [solved]

Dear all,

I've finally gotten the new computer, put it all together, and am ready to install Mandrake Linux (10 Official)! Very exciting...

So I've got an 80GB SATA drive with a barebones WinXP SP1a installation (for games), and I've got a blank 10GB IDE drive (formatted in a single FAT32 partition). The IDE drive is Mandrake's future home (having heard that it can be tricky to install Linux on a SATA drive).

Here's the problem: When I boot up the Mandrake 10 CD and say that I want to customize my partitioning, I get the screen where I can choose the hard disk and the partitions to install Linux to, with all its pretty colored bars, etc. But: I can only see a single hard disk: sda (which is the 80GB SATA drive with Windows on it). I can't see the second hard disk at all on that page!

The IDE hard disk is a 10GB Maxtor. Its jumpers were set to "Cable Select" in the last computer, so I've left it as that. It's plugged into a Promise controller (2 SATA + 1 IDE) on my MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R. Windows recognizes it just fine...in fact, I was in Windows when I (from Control Panel->Admin Tools->Disk Management) formatted it as a single FAT32 partition. I can see it just fine from within Windows, and for that matter I can see it from within my BIOS (AMI, recently flashed to lastest version available on MSI website).

Any thoughts?

Many, many thanks in advance!

Linux Engineer
    sounds strange.....does your bios recognise all the drives you have?first get into bios and check it.if all ok then make sure that you have formatted your drive properly(you can use a boot disk made in windows and boot from it ).if it is ok i think that it is strange not to "see" your drive.also make sure you choose manual partitioning when installing mandrake.
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    yes, i experienced the same issue with my ich5 and siI3112 SATA controllers. no matter how i tried to map drives in bios, SATA seems to still need primary IDE channel or something. i finally got it to work somehow, but my hack created an awful mess, ending up with windows seeing my SATA RAID 0 set of raptors and my maxtor ATA 133 drive on primary ide as one big drive or something. I think you need to get an ATA 133 PCI card to develop a new channel. I also think that ATA 133 spec is truely only available (on most mobo's) with this kind of card as opposed to using onboard IDE controller. They're cheap. i may not be right, i didn't even try it myself, but it sounds right.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    dt2
    Just Joined!
    Okay, got it to work, and many thanks for your comments.

Basically I moved the IDE cable from one chipset (Promise, which has 2 SATA and 1 IDE) to another chipset on the motherboard. I also played with the boot order in the BIOS (floppy, CD, IDE drive), but I doubt that that made any difference.

Oddly enough, I thought I had already tried moving the IDE cable to the other interface and it hadn't worked. Obviously either (a) when I tried that I had also been messing with the jumpers and had moved it into a configuration other than "cable select", or (b) I didn't try it but thought I did because it was 3am. Probably one of those two.

At any rate, Mandrake detected it as hde, and I now have Mandrake up and running as a dual-boot system. Many thanks!