Find the answer to your Linux question:
Linux newbie here. Hoping to become proficient enough in Linux to get away from Windows altogether eventually. I'm trying to install suse 10.3 onto a Dell with Win XP Pro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking can't boot suse 10.3 from DVD

Linux newbie here. Hoping to become proficient enough in Linux to get away from Windows altogether eventually.

I'm trying to install suse 10.3 onto a Dell with Win XP Pro SP2. I have Windows on C: (~47GB) and have ~28GB of free space available on my 80 gig HDD. I downloaded "openSUSE-10.3-GM-DVD-i386.iso" and burned it to a DVD. When I tried to boot from the DVD, it doesn't boot. The boot options in the BIOS are CD-ROM, floppy, and HD. I removed the HD from the boot sequence in BIOS and upon rebooting, it doesn't recognize the DVD. Is there a way to add the DVD drive to the boot sequence? Or should it recognize it under the CD-ROM option? Can I get the installation started using a CD or floppy. If so, can you tell me what I need to put on the CD/floppy?

Also, do I need to format the partition in a certain way in order to install suse? Thanks for your help!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Just guessing here, but are you sure you burned the ISO image to the disk properly?

Take a look at the disk with a file manager. There should be multiple files on the disk. If only the ISO file is there, you've simply copied the ISO file to the blank disk, which won't work. The ISO file must be burned to the disk as an image. Also, don't make the disk bootable yourself because the ISO image burning process takes care of that step automatically.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yes, there's multiple files on the DVD. As far as making the disk bootable, should I have just burned it as a data DVD and not a bootable disk? If so, do I need to reburn it or can I modify the one I have.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge97 View Post
    Yes, there's multiple files on the DVD. As far as making the disk bootable, should I have just burned it as a data DVD and not a bootable disk? If so, do I need to reburn it or can I modify the one I have.
    It has to be burned as an image, and the burning process takes care of making the disk bootable automatically. Be sure you don't check any boxes to make the disk bootable. Different burning applications have different steps for burning, so I'm not sure what steps you took.

Regarding computer boot options, I get a dvd drive option to boot from when there is a good DVD in the drive.
    oz

Just Joined!
    OK, I reburned it as an image, being careful not to choose any options to make it a bootable DVD, and still the same problem. I used Nero Express 6 version 6.6.1.4 to burn the DVD. I created the DVD using the following steps.

1. Choose my DVD drive from the drop-down list at the top of the window
    2. Choose "Disk Image or Saved Project", which opens up another window for me to choose the file to burn
    3. Select "openSUSE-10.3-GM-DVD-i386.iso" and click "Open"
    4. Choose a writing speed of 4x and enter "1" for number of copies and hit "Next"
    5. Burning begins (takes about 30 minutes to complete)
    6. Message says burn completed successfully

The DVD has 5 folders and about 25 other files on it.

oz
    forum.guy
    From your description, it sounds like the DVD is probably good.

Is the DVD drive still not showing up as an option on boot? My computer gives me the option of selecting that drive to boot from when there's a good DVD in the drive.

Check your BIOS settings to see if there is any mention of scsi emulation. Maybe enabling it will help with this.

Is there a BIOS upgrade available for your computer that might fix things?

I'm not really sure why it isn't working, so I'm just trying to throw some ideas out there.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Figured it out. DVD was fine. DVD drive was set as the slave, so I repositioned the jumper so it was the master and it booted right up. I checked the BIOS when I first re-started the computer and there was still no DVD option, but when I continued, it booted from the DVD anyways. BTW, I'm replying here whilst using SUSE!! I'm still configuring everything, so I haven't had time to play, but I'm excited!! That much closer to saying good-bye to Windows.

Thanks for all of your help ozar!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad you are up and running!

Don't hesitate to start new threads with any other questions.
    oz