Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'v just installed SuSE Personal 9.1 and am a complete linux newbie. The installation went fine, and suse runs without any problems. When I try to boot XP (home) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installed SuSE, XP no longer boots

Hi,

I'v just installed SuSE Personal 9.1 and am a complete linux newbie. The installation went fine, and suse runs without any problems.

When I try to boot XP (home) though, I get:

Code:
    root (hd0,0)
     Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0cx
    chainloader +1

NTLDR is missing
    Press any key to restart
    If anybody could tell me how to fix this I'd be very grateful!

dt2
    Just Joined!
    Are you using grub or lilo? And where did you tell the installer to put grub/lilo? (If it even asked you.)

Just Joined!
    I don't know and it didnt ask me

Where can I find out?

Thanks for the reply

dt2
    Just Joined!
    Random idea: Is there a floppy disk in your 3.5" drive? See:
    http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-l...-Oct/2869.html

Assuming that's not the solution, I'll continue (failing ) to help you...You're only a couple of days' worth of experience behind me, so my knowledge may give out soon, but hopefully we can at least get you started, and there are tons of great mods here who know tons.

Hopefully someone else reading this can back me up on this one, but I think that if it didn't ask you that means it installed itself in the default place, which is the MBR (Master Boot Record, which is the same place as Windows's boot manager, NTLDR). In other words, it may have overwritten the MBR (as Windows had it) with Grub/Lilo.

Okay, when you get your boot menu (offering Linux and XP as options), look at the top and see if it says grub or lilo.

I'd like to know which so we can take a look in your configuration file. For grub, for example, there's a file /etc/grub.conf that contains data such as:

Code:
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)
           root (hd0,1)
           kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda3
           initrd /initrd-2.4.18-3.img
    title Windows XP
           rootnoverify (hd0,0)
           chainloader +1
    (I got that from http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/0,39...0265546,00.htm)

Can you take a look inside that file and let us know what it contains? (I don't know much about lilo, but I assume there's a lilo.conf file -- can someone else here please confirm?)

Just Joined!
    Nothing above the selection screen

grub.conf:

Code:
    root (hd0,2)
    install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) /boot/grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,2)/boot/grub/menu.lst
    quit
    [edit]Turns out I am using grub, I looked in the yast bootloader config thingy [/edit]

Wrong file look for /boot/grub/menu.lst and post that if it has contents like what dt2 posted for grub.conf
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    menu.lst:

Code:
    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Jul 10 13:18:30 2004

color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,2)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title Linux
        kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x31a splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hda2 showopts
        initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
    title Windows
        root (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
    title Floppy
        root (fd0)
        chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    title Failsafe
        kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0  3
        initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd

check this out there ins ao thread on a suse forum firsthttp://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...pic=2072&st=15
    then a technical post on suse.com support dbhttp://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...booting91.html

Read both of thease and there is another thread on this site that i cant find rite now on the same problem.

from the suse doc above
    Solution
    One quick solution is to activate the (LBA or large) access mode (under which the hard disk was previously addressed) for the hard disk(s) in the computer's BIOS. Important: the hard disk values should not be set to "AUTO".

If this does not help (or if your BIOS does not offer this option), you can repair the partition table with a driver update. To do this, proceed as follows: On our FTP server, you will find two images at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/upd...1/misc/parted/ one for creating a floppy disk and one for creating a CD.
    and here is the readme from the suse server that the patch is on
    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/upd.../parted/README
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Ok, I tried the bios and floppy disk fixes from the suse site, couldnt find the option in the bios, and the floppy method just didnt work.

It went through as normal, but when it came to checking my drive it just said it was good, so i restarted, and things were back to normal (suse working, but windows not).

Thanks to loft for taking a day on IRC to help me If anybody else has any ideas, i'd like to hear 'em.