Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I've installed a Xubuntu 7.04 in a P3 with 800mghz and 128mb ram. I see this pc not as fast as I expected, this could sound like a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro or desktop for a pentium 3

Hi guys, I've installed a Xubuntu 7.04 in a P3 with 800mghz and 128mb ram. I see this pc not as fast as I expected, this could sound like a joke but with m$ windows xp, the performance was almost the same . I considered to install fluxbox, but it's not an user friendly environment for my sister. Now, I'm thinking to install Puppy, but I'm not sure yet. i was wondering if someone give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Another Xfce-based distro you could try is Zenwalk. It's based on Slackware so it might feel a bit faster than Xubuntu, but I'm not sure.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Vector Linux Standard or Zenwalk are both nice, run xfce, relatively lightweight & great for older hardware, or maybe Absolute Linux(IceWM) - (all slackware based)

Puppy is awesome as a livecd and for its tools, but:

not intended to be installed(except maybe with the frugal install option) and can be unsafe for someone who doesn't know what they're doing, not because it isn't user friendly but more so because you are logged in as root and can mess things up with that power.

other small live cd distros include Damn Small Linux, Slax, Wolvix or for just movies, tunes and pictures maybe checkout GeeXBoX(like 8 MB's)
    Last edited by RabidWolf; 10-19-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Because I can

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close