Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since being a newbie and not being familiar with Mandrake 10 or any other distro, I thought I'd ask this question before installing a new OS. I have not seen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question on Installation - Hardware Compatibility Issues

Since being a newbie and not being familiar with Mandrake 10 or any other distro, I thought I'd ask this question before installing a new OS. I have not seen the following listed in Mandrake's database and was wondering if anyone has had any eperience with the following in terms of compatibility with Mandrake 10:

Motherboard - Asrock PE Pro-HT
    North Bridge: SIS 645DX chipsets
    CPU - Socket 478 for Intel P4 2.4 MHz
    ASUS - V8460 Video Graphics Card

Also, what OS architecture would be used with the chipset and CPU? Or does it make any difference?

i could take an educated guess and say that it is compatable, but why not test it and boot off of MandrakeMove, Mandrake 10 Live CD?

Yes, if windoz runs on it then linux will though you micht not have hardware accelerated gfx but everything else will be suported...and another thing that you can try is d/l and burn a KNOPPIX cd. KNOPPIX is a complete linux os that runs off of the cd try it, and it is the best boot/diagnostic disk to have laying around anyways
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Yes, if windoz runs on it then linux will though you micht not have hardware accelerated gfx but everything else will be suported...and another thing that you can try is d/l and burn a KNOPPIX cd. KNOPPIX is a complete linux os that runs off of the cd try it, and it is the best boot/diagnostic disk to have laying around anyways
    KNOPPIX is the ultimate rescue disk, err CD. Everyone should have one lying around!

-Kauai