Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I recently came to the conclusion that I need to keep my installation data and personal data on separate partitions in case I ever need to reinstall. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Resizing ext3 partitions

Hey, I recently came to the conclusion that I need to keep my installation data and personal data on separate partitions in case I ever need to reinstall. I have more data on this hard-drive than I could ever back up, if you know what I mean, so I need to have a way to simply delete and reinstall my systems data. Putting this on a new partition seemed to be the obvious approach to me.

I haven't tried doing anything to it yet ( out of fear ), but if I remember correctly, none of the partitioning programs I tried could resize ext3 partitions, which leaves me kind of out of luck.

Does anyone know of any how-tos dealing with this, or any applications that can resize ext3 partitions? I just don't really feel safe having all of my stuff on the same system installation, because I'm the type that usually learns by trial and error. Luckily I have some separate physical drives I can use for a reinstall if something goes wrong, but I do like having everything on one physical disc, makes things a lot snappier.

Have a look at Parted Magic
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by SagaciousKJB View Post
    Does anyone know of any how-tos dealing with this, or any applications that can resize ext3 partitions?
    Another good option in addition to the one recommended by valemon is the Gparted LiveCD:

GParted -- LiveCD

Either of those liveCDs should have no problems resizing your partitions.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close