Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried dual-booting with Windows XP on a Dell Laptop... Knoppix won't boot, GRUB never comes up, etc... it always boots windows no matter how I try the dual boot... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Unable to Boot Knoppix after Installing

I tried dual-booting with Windows XP on a Dell Laptop... Knoppix won't boot, GRUB never comes up, etc... it always boots windows no matter how I try the dual boot... I've been looking all over the internet and I've found that there's two populars ways to get GRUB working:

1) Using grub-install from the command line, specifying where to install it, blah blah blah, you probaly are familier with it, if not search "install GRUB"

2) Using the grub command line program, again specifying where to install, blah blah blah

I've tried both of the above main methods I've found, along with some variations of them, with all types on install (recommended debian, beginner, like-the-liveDVD install; install to mbr and root with all) and nothing works.

Trouble is, I'm pretty sure that GRUB isn't install right to begin with, whatever I do it can't find what it needs to install on my Knoppix ext3 partition... it's almost like I need to manually install GRUB from the LiveDVD after install Knoppix.

Now here's what's super frustrating: the very first time I put Knoppix on here, IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!! And now I can't get anything to work... I took off Knoppix to play with other distro's, but have decided to go back cause I'm doing alot of programming in school and I've noticed that the Knoppix DVD has a good variety of tools to do this with (and has gcc already installed... stupid ubuntu not having either).

One other thing that you might handy to know: I got a GRUB error 15 a couple of times, but that stopped fairly early on (I'd say within the first 7 or so times of installing Knoppix)

Any help would be appreciated... I'm pretty sure I've installed Knoppix like 20 times in the past 3 or 4 days trying to make something work.

Thanks people.

I am a bit confused. sorry !
    What error message are you getting right now? Is it Knoppix boot up problem or dual boot problem?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Well I'm trying to dual boot, but Knoppix will never boot...

And that error code, that's what it said on my screen: grub error 15

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Boot up from SuperGRUB CD and select 'Fix Linux Boot Loader (GRUB)'. Post the output of fdisk -l command and contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst file here.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, will try that and let you know... GRUB should be installed to root not mbr for this to work though right?

SuperGRUB will install GRUB in MBR only and its very easy to setup dual boot that way.
    You can install GRUB in boot sector of root partition too, but you will have to configure Windows Boot Loader for dual booting. I would suggest you to install GRUB in MBR only.

Just Joined!
    So I don't need to have GRUB installed at all with Knoppix? I've got a /boot directory with a few GRUB things in it, not much though (cause my last install was to the MBR), it shouldn't affect anything with this will it?

Just Joined!
    So I tried that disk... I selected "Fix Linux Boot loader (GRUB) and never had a chance to invoke fdisk -l and didn't see the contents of the menu.lst file cause the screen blacked out and restarted, booting into the CD (or windows, if I took it out in time).

Right off the start I tried selecting GRUB => MBR & !LINUX! which I think was supposed to boot Linux, but it gave me this:
    Error 15: File not Found

Boot up from Knoppix CD, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    su
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.

Just Joined!
    I scripted it, here it is:

Script started on Wed Oct 24 23:37:41 2007
    [1;36mroot@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix/Desktop#[0;39m fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 1958 15727603+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 1959 8932 56018655 b W95 FAT32
    /dev/hda3 8933 9585 5245222+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda4 9586 9729 1156680 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    [1;36mroot@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix/Desktop#[0;39m exit

Script done on Wed Oct 24 23:37:55 2007

I tried installing Knoppix again and this time grub told me it had "error 17" during "stage 1.5" and refused to boot my computer...

Edit: It looks kinda sloppy... for some reason the forum won't display all the whitespace to make it look good... sorry about that