Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How many operating systems can I set up on one drive, say of 200 GB in size. For example could I do the following? Partition 1.) Windoze Vista Partition 2.) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How many operating systems can a set up to boot from?

How many operating systems can I set up on one drive, say of 200 GB in size.

For example could I do the following?

Partition 1.) Windoze Vista

Partition 2.) Windoze XP

Partition 3.) Slackware 12

Partition 4.) Arch

Partition 5.) Frugalware

Is such a thing possible?

If you allocate 10GB disk space to each distro, you can install around 17 OSes in your HD. I have Windows XP + 6 Linux distro in my test machine having 80GB HD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    That's great news, thanks for the help!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    If you allocate 10GB disk space to each distro, you can install around 17 OSes in your HD. I have Windows XP + 6 Linux distro in my test machine having 80GB HD.
    Wow..I may be wrong but i think read somewhere only upto 4 OS can be installed in a system.
    Is that thing changed , if so then how maxmiun OS can be installed in a system?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Wow..I may be wrong but i think read somewhere only upto 4 OS can be installed in a system.
    Is that thing changed , if so then how maxmiun OS can be installed in a system?
    On most hard disks, you can only have 4 primary partitions but you can make one of those 4 an extended partition (which can contain as many partitions as you want) and use that to house your other OS's.

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, I think a user is pretty much only limited by the size of the hard drive and by the number of different distros available.
    oz

Just Joined!
    This is pretty amazing. Of course my main reason for wanting to do this is to test, learn, and compare for the most part. I've also been told the VMWare is good to use for these things as well, but I've never tried that before either.

oz
    forum.guy
    I remember reading a few months back about someone who had 145 distros installed.

Seems like it would be a nightmare to keep them all updated...
    oz

Just Joined!
    Since yesterday I came across a post somewhere where someone claimed to have like 200+ going just fine!

then,i wonder whether anyone holds a Guinness World Record for most no.of OS installed on a system
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast