Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install pclinuxos on virtual pc but I dont see where you install it to the harddrive. A menu did come up when I selected "LiveCD" but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

pclinucos on virtual pc

I am trying to install pclinuxos on virtual pc but I dont see where you install it to the harddrive. A menu did come up when I selected "LiveCD" but I was unable to read it. I am assuming it is a bad setting in virtual pc or something.

I also read that I should log in as root and type "livecd-install" but that didnt work.

Anyone know how to install it or better yet, install it using Microsoft Virtual PC? Thanks.

UPDATE:
    I am installing SuSe just fine. However, that might be because Microsoft is supporting them so that's why it's playing nice probably.
    Last edited by jason.frost; 10-24-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: update

I have no idea...

BUT, dont use M$Virutal PC. Its not really good.. Not since its M$ but well since its just crap.. (runs 10% CPU max yey ^^) Have a look at innotek or Vmware.. they both have one drawback.
    VMware makes a Mess of your system. (Processes that always run etc) So you will have to fix that. And its Extremly Heavy.
    and innotek Virtual Box has the draw back that Networking is hard. but making a Bridge and everything should work fine.. ^^ (I prefer innotek)
    They are both for Linux and Windows so you can run on both oses
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Quote Originally Posted by RobinVossen View Post
    and innotek Virtual Box has the draw back that Networking is hard. but making a Bridge and everything should work fine.. ^^ (I prefer innotek)
    They are both for Linux and Windows so you can run on both oses
    I actually disagree with that. Networking it for me has been cake.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    VirtualBox is great, I started using it yesterday. It's great that it has internet access out of the box...but of course you do need to bridge to connect to your local machine. I have used VMWare a good bit, and use Qemu all the time but the VirtualBox GUI is my favourite so far.

really, running it on Linux or Windows?
    Since I havnt tryed it on Linux yet
    Google first, then ask..

I myself am using it in windows. I dont plan on using a virtual computer once I install linux/unix on another partition. I only do it so I can have Linux in windows.

I dont like vmware solely for the fact that it adds like 10 processes and cuz you cant even uninstall it. I had to do a system restore just to get rid of it. No thanks.

I am using Virtual Box now tho which I really like as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jason.frost View Post
    I dont like vmware solely for the fact that it adds like 10 processes and cuz you cant even uninstall it. I had to do a system restore just to get rid of it. No thanks.
    I haven't used VMware on Windows for a while but when I did, there was certainly a way to uninstall it. I don't think any product as successful as VMware would make it on the market very long if you had to do a full System Restore in order to get rid of it.

However, I like Virtualbox a lot too. It's not as polished as VMware is, IMO, but it does run a little lighter.

My all time favorites are Qemu and Virtual Box
    Since they just do what they should do ^^
    Google first, then ask..

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    I haven't used VMware on Windows for a while but when I did, there was certainly a way to uninstall it. I don't think any product as successful as VMware would make it on the market very long if you had to do a full System Restore in order to get rid of it.

However, I like Virtualbox a lot too. It's not as polished as VMware is, IMO, but it does run a little lighter.

Well it certainly did not have an uninstall feature. I read somewhere that there was an issue with uninstalling it. Don't ask me. I know how to uninstall and it didnt have one. But o well I just wont use it.