Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I've used linux before and have a limited basic knowledge and was enjoying how things where progressing before. However, my laptop was only 40gb and i kinda needed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux to an external HD!

Hey, I've used linux before and have a limited basic knowledge and was enjoying how things where progressing before. However, my laptop was only 40gb and i kinda needed the space, so i regretably unistalled linux.
    The Distro i was using was Ubuntu.
    Now i have got myself a 500gb external hard drive and was wondering if i would be able to install a linux distro onto that and still have the dual boot so i can use both windows and linux.
    However, if i try to boot my laptop up without the external HD plugged in would this cause problems when booting using dual boot.
    Is there anyway to do this?
    Also is Ubuntu a good linux distro to use for newbies, or is there one that is less complicated to introduce me more lightly to the world of Linux.
    Thanks in advance.
    :S

Linux Engineer
    I had linux installed to a usb hard drive for my laptop. I removed it, I'm about to install it to my new 200gb hard drive I just got. It is definitely possible. Make sure when you are setting up partitions or where to install it, make sure it goes to the correct hard disk. When I installed grub, I installed it to the master boot record of the external drive, that way I wouldn't even see grub unless I booted from that disk. When the laptop boots, it has an option to press F12 to select a boot device, where I selected the external drive and it went to grub on it's MBR. I did have a couple problems at first. Sometimes, when I had other usb drives (thumb drive for example) plugged in, they would be detected in different orders, so the partition grub wanted to boot was actually on a different drive and didn't boot. Either that, or the root parameter to the kernel ended up being wrong because of that, and the kernel would boot but hang when it couldn't find a root partition to run init from. So, set it up without any other usb drives attached and boot it the same way. It might take a little bit to figure out the grub options, the info page for grub and also these forums should be able to help you out.

Just Joined!
    Cool, so all i do is install it to my EHD and then try to sort out the grub. Is there anyway doing this and trying to get grub working that i will loose all or any data on the EHD?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close