Find the answer to your Linux question:
The problem is I can't get Windows XP to boot from Grub (i've tried reinstalling Grub). No matter what options I put under 'title Windows XP', grub will always boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub/Partition Table problem

The problem is I can't get Windows XP to boot from Grub (i've tried reinstalling Grub). No matter what options I put under 'title Windows XP', grub will always boot windows to a black screen displaying those options then give me a 'boundary' error (then stop). I'm thinking this has something to do with the partition table telling me that their is a cylinder boundary problem.

fdisk -l
    Code:
    Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 232581 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1   *           1           1           0   10  OPUS
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/hda3               1      121906    61440561    7  HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/hda4          121906      232576    55777680    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/hda5          121907      122114      104391   83  Linux
    /dev/hda6          122114      203395    40965718+  83  Linux
    /dev/hda7          203395      207076     1855476   82  Linux swap
    /dev/hda8          207077      232576    12851968+  8e  Linux LVM
    In case your wondering what the current grub 'menu.lst' is:
    Code:
    title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.6-1-686
    root            (hd0,4)
    kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.6-1-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro
    initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.6-1-686
    savedefault
    boot

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    I'm using Debian (everything updated), kernel 2.6.6-1, and newest version of Grub. Windows worked fine when I first install Debian (Sarge installer) a few weeks ago. I can't pinpoint exactly when it stopped working, but it might have been when i upgraded to a newer kernel. This post is cross-posted in "Misc", it has been there for over a day and no one has responded, plus I noticed that this was the correct forum for grub.

Just Joined!
    Just wondering... Do you have NTFS support in your kernel? it might not mount it properly because linux doesn't know what the filesystem is.

Also usually you add your drives in /etc/fstab and when linux boots up your windoze drive should mount.

Post back lemme see where your at.

it should be :

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Question: Why the
    /dev/hda1 * 1 1 0 10 OPUS
    OPUS ?
    What is it ? Did you create this partition ?

Just wondering... Do you have NTFS support in your kernel? it might not mount it properly because linux doesn't know what the filesystem is.

Also usually you add your drives in /etc/fstab and when linux boots up your windoze drive should mount.
    Not needed, the problem is in GRUB, that's the bootloader.
    If he want to mount the ntfs partitions he should have NTFS support for the kernel.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, but he's using newest grub with 2.6.6 kernel. I'm solving the same problem right now. Before I used lilo without any problem but Grub seems to be bigger and he overwrited some part in MBR. So if u wan to recover XP try bootcfg /rebuild from installation CD.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Opnosforatou
    it should be :

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    makeactive

Just Joined!
    Okay, "(hd0,2)" was right. But only because it has made some weird OPUS drive (hda1) and extended drive (hda2). Windows was orginally "(hd0,0)", before something werid happened. But anyway, changing Windows to (hd0,2) got me to boot into windows, however as soon i select to boot Windows it says "missing system32/hal.dll", and "BootCfg /Rebuild" doesn't help. Something must have got corrupted or overwritten somehow. I'm googling for solutions for the "missing system32/hall.dll" problem now. If you know of any, let me know. But I think the key problem is resolving what to do with the "OPUS" and "cylinder boundary" partitions.

rat007 wrote:
    Ok, but he's using newest grub with 2.6.6 kernel. I'm solving the same problem right now. Before I used lilo without any problem but Grub seems to be bigger and he overwrited some part in MBR. So if u wan to recover XP try bootcfg /rebuild from installation CD.

R

Opnosforatou wrote:
    it should be :

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    makeactive
    thanks for the help

Just Joined!
    AHHH!!! Looks like i'll be reinstalling windows tommorow. Any last suggestions please respond. I don't know what is wrong with the partition table, i tried to use partition magic and it couldn't even read the partition table. Hopefully i'll be able to reinstall windows.