Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is a very general question, from a newbie. I was just wondering what possible difference in features could you have between different bootloaders like GRUB or LILO. I mean ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what kind of features differ between Boot Loaders

This is a very general question, from a newbie. I was just wondering what possible difference in features could you have between different bootloaders like GRUB or LILO. I mean I am using LILO right now, I'm sure at some point during installation I had to choose between the two. But it just seems to me bootloading is such a basic function that either bootloaders will work absolutely fine. So other than aesthetic what other differences are there.

It seems to me that Linux users just want to control every last part of their isntallation package, I understand I am kind of like that, but I am predominantly still a windows user, and just wondering what the benefits were.

Linux Guru
    GRUB is essentially better in all ways over LILO. LILO has up until recently, when GRUB began taking over, been the boot loader that everyone uses but that noone likes. Now it is the boot loader that noone uses and noone likes.
    I won't go into any technical details now (too tired!!!), but let's suffice to say that GRUB is _much_ better.

Linux Enthusiast
    here is a site on grub for more info:

http://www.geocities.com/cyberkabila/main/grub.htm

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    For even more info on GRUB, see the texinfo documentation on it.