Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I am new to this linux but have just managed to create a Live CD of Puppy Linux on my computer and it worked fine. The computer has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can I dualboot with 2 harddrives

Hi everyone.
    I am new to this linux but have just managed to create a Live CD of Puppy Linux on my computer and it worked fine.

The computer has the following drives.

A: Floppy drive
    C: Harddrive with Win 98 Se on it (is master)
    D: Harddrive which I want to install Puppy on (is slave)
    E: a DVD Rom (secondary slave)
    F: a CDRW (secondary master)

None of the drives have been partitioned. Both harddrives are small about
    2GB each.

Can I make it a dual boot and get the best of both operating systems ?

Yes and its very easy. If you install Linux in Slave Disk, Boot Loader doesn't work properly in a few machines. I would suggest you to plug-in Slave disk as Primary and Windows Disk as slave. Install Linux in primary. You will have to add an entry of Windows 98 in GRUB menu.
    First of all, install Linux in Primary. Boot it up, open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Post output here. I will post the code for dual boot setup.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Banned
    Hello dear Andrew,

personally, I think that a dual boot system with each operation system on a separate Hard drive disk a practical thing.

I see a few problems with your setup/system:

For experimenting, it will be fine.

But you won't stay happy with it, in the mid and the long term.

Why?: Because you only have a total storage on your disks of 4GB.
    And because you are using a Windows operation system that is a little outdated, and with that you will be rather limited, if you will going to try to install applications (speak software), or hardware components.

It looks like you intend to actually upgrade your system.

As I said: It will be fine for experimenting.

Later you probably will be wanting to upgrade your hardware, and get some other hard drive disks (HDD's), and so on. Etc., etc.

But how is about the basics? How is it about your computer? How old is it? What are its specifications?

If I where you, I would get started in making plans for a totally new system: New computer, another HDD, Windows, at least Windows XP.

Or you could do this:
    Start with the future system, by only getting one single component, but one that won't get outdated so fast: A 32GB Solid State Disk (SSD). But here we would have to think about, if we want it with a IDE, or a SATA connection. Probably better, with SATA, and use a adapter with it. Later you will be able to plug it directly, as the new computer will have SATA connection (or eSATA?).

But this is only a suggestion.

The idea and the message is, to look foreward, think, and build for the future.
    And that you don't even have to buy all at once: That you can start with a single SSD.

For the price of two new HDD,s you might better get one SSD, and you would be much better prepared for the future and for your next computer system.

With 4GB, you will soon reach your limit. So prepare now, for the time when you will need a new system, so that you will be ready for the change.

Every new invested cent, should be a good investment, and not a waste.

Hard disk drives, will soon be displayed in the museums, and Windows 98SE as well. Sorry...

Have fun and enjoy,

Cheers,
    Alexander

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    To devils_casper
    I am a little confused
    do I install linux first on the slave drive then change the jumpers and cables on the drives to make the slave master and the master slave
    or do I change the drives and cables first and then install linux on to the master.

To Lordshooter
    This is my old computer. Kept because I did want to waste a lot of ink for my old printer which works with Win 98se, MS-Dos & Puppy Linux. The printer does not work with any later version of Windows.

Change drives and cables first. Install Linux in Master. Unplug Linux disk, plug-in other disk as Master and Install Windows. You will have two disks having Linux and Windows.
    Now, Plug-in Linux disk as master and Windows disk as slave. Linux will boot up by default. Open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    ls /boot/grub
    Post output here. You will have to add three lines in GRUB conf file to setup dual boot. I have to check output of above commands first.

Just Joined!
    I will post when I have done that might take a few days. Bad weather Thunderstorms.

Ok !! Do let me know, take care !

Just Joined!
    Struck a problem,

How do I install Linux ( Puppy ) on to the hard drive using the Live Disk ?

I have Win on one hard disk and formatted the other with the format command in Win.

Then I completely disconnected the Hard disk with win. and only have the other disk plugged in.
    Booted up with live disk of Puppy, Puppy loaded in Ram, closed puppy it asked if I wanted files copied to Hard disk I did that.
    Turned of computer. ejected Live disk and rebooted.
    Get message invalid system disk.

I have obviously done something wrong with installing puppy.

Did you just copy files?
    Or did you click on the "Install Puppy" icon on the desktop?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    At the moment trying to get puppy installed onto the hard disk. (the windows Harddisk has been disconnected while I am doing this so I do not accidentlly partion or stuff up the data on the windows harddisk)

Got some instructions of how to do this from

PuppyLinux: Installing Puppy 2.xx (2.13) To Hard Drive as Only Operating System Checklist

When I have finally managed to get Puppy working of that harddisk I will let you know or ask for help if I still cannot work it out.