Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have read all the directions for installing the new slackware on my pc... i have never used linux before and i have always wanted to try it... i got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

slackware --> keyboard

i have read all the directions for installing the new slackware on my pc... i have never used linux before and i have always wanted to try it...

i got down to where it says this... in this install directions site... http://www.linuxpackages.net/howto.p...e=Installation

Welcome to Linux 2.4.26.

login:

if i try to type something my keyboard turns off and i cant type...

any help would be greatly appreciated... thx

Just Joined!
    my keyboard doesnt work when i reach that spot... it worked throughout the whole installation processes without any problems... i dont know what the problem is and have no idea what to do...

Linux User
    So you finished the install, and it boots up, but you cant login?

Is it graphical or text login?

if i try to type something my keyboard turns off and i cant type...
    Turns off? Do you mean if you type, you don't see text? Or the leds turn off, what?

Try ctrl+alt+backspace a few times, if thats a graphical login it should quit X.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    it is text login... i have the num lock led light on and i try typing and nothing happens... i hit the num lock to turn it off and i hit it again and it doesnt come back on...

when i typed in the password in the setup i didnt see anything when i typed in the password... i typed stuff into it and nothing showed not even the ***... i dont know if its supposed to have them but it did say that i entered a password...

Just Joined!
    i tried even rebooting with crtl-alt-del... dont know if it should work but it didnt

Just Joined!
    figured it out... changed the keyboard map at the beginning and it worked...

Just Joined!
    it did work with my friends usb keyboard... but my ps/2 doesnt work... i have tried like 5 other keymaps and they all dont work... not sure what to do...

Linux Newbie
    if it works with your friend usb but not your ps/2, try disabling the modules for usb. are you using a ps/2 or usb mouse, i have had other distros not work for wierd reasons when the mouse was usb and the keyboard ps/2. when things like this happen i usually try to disable everything i don't need and work from there. it usually gives me a place to work with.

always make backups of any config file you change though.

Just Joined!
    i am using a usb mouse... that is really weird how that happens... so if i disable my mouse will i be able to turn it back on and it will work l8r?

not sure about things b/c im new at this...

you should be fine, but its going to be easier to drop $7 on a cheap usb keyboard untill you can get everything working. But that should work.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast