Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I know that this isn't a place for a Mandriva-kind of question, but I think I have a hard-disk failure: I've been trying to install Mandriva together with Windows, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Five minute question

Hi, I know that this isn't a place for a Mandriva-kind of question, but I think I have a hard-disk failure:
    I've been trying to install Mandriva together with Windows, did the partitioning and the installation, yet when I'm trying to boot up the system I'm getting fsck error , as I remember some signal 11 and the system reboots. It won't let fsck to do anything, only some "superblocks are written in the future". I've checked the installtion's media but that's O.K.
    Any idea?
    I never met this problem so far. Please!
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

I had a quick Google around and a SIG11 fault is a segmentation error:
    Signal 11, or officially know as "segmentation fault", means that the program accessed a memory location that was not assigned. That's usually a bug in the program. From here.
    But that doesn't rule out a hardware error. As this suggests.

It looks like you need to find some way of testing your system to get an indication of what's really wrong. It could be your hdd or your memory, or a software problem. My money's on your hardware.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Thanks, fingal,
    but the nightmare continues. Today I've tried to install from another DVD but no use. Wiped all again with PartedMagic, installed again but there's a failure again. I suspect to the HD. Still I'm angry, cos the Windows installs on it.
    The other suspected thing is the motherboard.
    She'll buy another HD and we'll see. Could it cause the trouble? The error message :"BAD EIP VALUE
    Warning... fsck.ext3 for device /dev/hda5 exited with signal 11"
    Sometimes even the Windows reboots unintendly .
    Any ideas?

EDIT: The PC crashed very often during the process of installation too. (2-3 minutes before the end)
    I've tried Mandriva 2008 One CD and Ubuntu Gutsy live session. The Mandriva 2008 won't boot up for the same reason, with same error code around ext3 on /dev/hda5.
    Gutsy did boot, but when I ran the partitioning tool, and the file system check on /dev/hda5 it issued an error message about it.
    Any sugestions?
    Last edited by minthaka; 11-18-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Additional datas
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You should try the hard drive checking tools that are provided by your hard drive manufacturer.
    Just go to there website and download the the necessary tools.

Moved to "Installation"
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ