Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! my question is the following how to remove ubuntu from a dual boot with vista. if all that you could call installation disc I have is a recovery ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

remove ubuntu from dual boot with vista?

Hello everyone!

my question is the following how to remove ubuntu from a dual boot with vista.

if all that you could call installation disc I have is a recovery disc that I made by my one in vista when I have finished the OEM installation that was started in the store?
    The only ting this disc do to the system is to reinstall de second partiton not the one that ubuntu is on.

please help me

Let me make sure I understand what you want to do. You've reinstalled Vista and want to remove the Ubuntu partition you created from a previous dual boot? I'm not sure if this works the same in Vista, but in XP, you can go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management and delete the Ubuntu partition from there.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    First I had Vista installed. later I wante to try ubuntu and I installed it on a second partition and after a while I wanted to remove ubuntu so I tried to reinstall vista but it on changed the second partition not the one with ubuntu on it.
    It is using GRUB when it is booting up or wath you could call it.

If I only remove the partition with ubuntu on does that realy work
    I heard if you only remove the partition it will keep GRUB and not know what to boot.

Or am I totally lost

oz
    forum.guy
    I still a bit confused, but if you are trying to remove GRUB from the MBR, here's a HowTo from Microsoft for fixing the MBR so that Windows boots again:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

The two commands you want to utilize are:

/FixMbr
    /FixBoot
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by petter View Post
    It is using GRUB when it is booting up or wath you could call it.

If I only remove the partition with ubuntu on does that realy work
    I heard if you only remove the partition it will keep GRUB and not know what to boot.

Or am I totally lost
    No, you're correct. There are two steps, and I neglected to mention the second. You will still need to delete the partition, but you also need to remove the Linux bootloader (GRUB) from your Master Boot Record in order for Vista to start up properly. ozar has posted a useful link for that.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have read that infomation on that site.
    but I have another question if I can use a OEM-instalation disc with Vista Premium on it?
    because i dosent get any installation disc with my compputer when I bought it
    and I have a friend of my who got that disc. (oem inst. disc)

I have read that infomation on that site.
    but I have another question if I can use a OEM-instalation disc with Vista Premium on it?
    because i dosent get any installation disc with my compputer when I bought it
    and I have a friend of my who got that disc. (oem inst. disc)
    I'm not sure if this will work, I think you will find the supergrub cd Super Grub Disk Webpage: Download will let you restore windows MBR. I would try that first ... if all else fails you will be able to restore grub & boot your system.

oz
    forum.guy
    Try it and see if it will work. Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    it worked with the oem-disc

have removed ubuntu and the computer haven't crashed ....yet :P

thxs for the help

oz
    forum.guy
    it worked with the oem-disc

have removed ubuntu and the computer haven't crashed ....yet :P

thxs for the help
    Glad it worked! Thanks for letting us know, and don't hesitate to start new threads with any other questions.
    oz