Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello friends i am using a athlon xp machine with windows98 , windows xp and redhat linux os in system. everything worked fine all these days.but i reinstalled my windows98. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how can i regain my grub bootloader installation

hello friends
    i am using a athlon xp machine with windows98 , windows xp and redhat linux os in system. everything worked fine all these days.but i reinstalled my windows98. unfortunately my bootloader options also changed . now the grub is not loading . ican able to boot in windows 98 and windows xp. but i can't boot into my linux installation. how can i get back my linux without reinstalling it .pls suggest some measures to correct it

pls help me immeadiatly

Just Joined!
    Ahh, the classic Linux installation problem. This is similar to the problem I had when I installed Slack first, then XP Pro.

Basically, when you set up a multiple boot system, you should install the Windows OSs first and the Linux distros second. This is because Windows likes to overwrite the Master Boot Record, or MBR, which is where your chosen boot loader is stored (in this case, GRUB).

As you reinstalled a Windows OS after you installed Linux then the MBR was overwritten. All you have to do to get your boot loader back is to boot up via floppy disk and start your boot loader from there. That should set everything up properly again (at least that's what happened with LILO).

Hope this helps.

Linux Engineer
    maybe by putting the linux installation cd there is a choice of repair ur system or upgrade i think(i'm not sure for redhat suse supports it).so you rewrite the boot loader and u don't have to reinstall packages.i think that will work...
    Linux For Ever!